FS: Miller 225G in pieces

Joliet IL. pickup only. Here is the link on Craig's List.

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

RDF, is is possible to connect this welder's generator to an electric motor? (to make it into a motor generator, like those of yesteryear).

Ignoramus29705

Igor, I don't see why not. It would be easy enough to put a pillowblock and shaft on the end or make a direct drive coupler.

Neat idea,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Ive probably got all the stuff to do it with, if Iggy has the time and wants to do it. Ill send what he needs for the shipping costs

Unless he wants to make a road trip and sort through the Stacks O Stuff. Belts too.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

The motor supports the gen rotor, so your pillow block would need to be VERY accurate. Also the gen, floats on the whole welder frame so the pillow block would require you to machine a flange that bolts to the 4 raial support arms NOT the frame/base of the welder. Another issue is that welder balances like a seasaw with the motor weight so you would need to keep it abouth the same weight. JUst to make matters even harder, the rotor shaft is fitted to a flex plate that fits to a taper shaft motor, all of which I think you would need to keep in place, there si no room for a bearing o the rotor. I was going to put a 2 cylinder wisconsin on one of these and decided it better not to. The motor is a big paer of the structure, it could be done but alot of work.

Reply to
wayne mak

Reply to
RoyJ

Reply to
wayne mak

yes...whats the problem?

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

Well, it's theoretical at this point. Trust me, it may be easier to fit a new design than rebuild that lil' bastard of an engine. I also thought about the Miller welder on the website that has a small block Ford in it. I have a spare blown&injected 350 collecting dust... Now that would be cool but I just don't have tinker time. Fun to dream though. I hope someone can make use of it and turn a few bucks out of it. For what it is, it fits a tight budget since all the parts are there. Just the assembly and time to sort it all out would keep someone out of the bar and in the shop for a weekend.

Rob

Reply to
RDF

Coming out to California anytime soon with luggage room for the beast?

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

Guns,

Actually I'm gonna be "grounded" here in town for a while. I'm going back under the knife in a few weeks on the back again. You want this beast?

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

I was about to do with mine, if I remember, the Onan engine had a plate between it and the genset, that plate had a 3" or so hole in ti that was dead center, I was going to turn an insert to fit that hole and bore it to support bearings. I was then going to turn a taper to match that of the crank to fit the flex plate, leave a 2" or 3" stub with a 1" diameter and put a pulley on it. I have 3 MINT wisconsin 2 cylinder engines that are better than those used on these welders, connect with a belt with a slight ratio so I could run the wisconsin at about 2500 RPM this would keep the noise down and still give the power needed at the welder. But I sold the miller when I found a Lincoln 250 amp (with the same dam onan) welder that had a bad valve. I was able to pull the head adjust and lap the valve and it runs good $300. so that made good sense to me.

Reply to
wayne mak

Wayne,

Mine has a centerplate that is a cast part about 9" in diameter held by four bolts on the outer edge with a 1" hole in the center. Sort of the same fashion as a torque converter by looks only. I'm tracking down a few leads on a direct replacement engine that started the ball rolling the day I got it (Now the calls start coming in) A PTO coupler and a cenerplate with a shaft on the end and it's pretty much just getting it centered and the new owner would have the ability to use about any engine. I just want the thing outa here. I know Guns had to sell his TIG rig a while back so I gotta give him first shot at it and he can spin the parts he needs. We have talked in the past, he is more than able to whip something up that will work. Again, still theory here. The engine just needs to be assembled and some TLC given to it and it "should" run.

Reply to
RDF

Iggies got first dibs. Might be fun to build it. God knows Ive been doing machining for everybody but myself recently..other than a bit of gunsmithing.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

I sold the spare tig ..the Lincoln tig 250/250. I kept the Airco Squarewave 300..though the learning curve has been horrendous..being self taught. Needed to rebuild the engine in the daily work truck. Hated to see it go..I rather liked the old bitch after I repaired and rebuilt that Lincoln..but the new owner likes it too...so it got a good home.

If you are sending a shipment out to your Long Beach operation (that still going along?)..and Iggy doesnt take it..maybe you can strap the beast to the pallet and I can pick it up wherever. Motor or not. Shrug..but..only if we can trade something for it...cash is mighty short around here.

Gunner, who Needs an engine driven welder like a third thumb..but it would make some things simpler...

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

I cannot do anything with this welder right now. I am actually making a multiprocess stick/tig/MIG welder and plasma cutter out of my CyberTig, I am using a SCR firing controller by PCTI. I am mostly posting to sci.electronics.design about it. It is already working, somewhat.

Ignoramus19822

Reply to
wayne mak

yep...

see picture of my wirst weld made this thing:

Ignoramus19822

A guy just picked it up. Had more enthusiasm than I had for it. I wished him well and set it on his truck....

Respects,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

Damn..and here Id just sold off my first born to finance it.

Sigh...