Ernie's book & DVD

Ernie, Any updates on the status of your project(s)?
All the best,
Rob
Fraser Competition Engines
Chicago, IL.

Having regular income from DIT has allowed me to get quite a few things started. This spring I should be ready to tackle this beast.
I am thinking about offering short welding videos through iTunes music store as Video Podcasts. Maybe $2 each.
If they sell well they can finance an actual DVD production.
--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams

Id buy em if I could download and save em via dialup.
Gunner
The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.
In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence, and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years . It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints, and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.
Theodore Dalrymple,
--- Ernie:
Hobart Welding school is selling a DVD on TIG for $940 (http://www.welding.org/cart/training/gtaw.htm ); looking forward to something from you on TIG; you could charge a lot more than $2 and still get plenty of interest.
--
Bart Killam Work: 612-349-9023x283
SAS Institute Inc. Fax: (919) 677-4444 (Fax)
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Just make sure you use a distribution format that is compatible with the bulk of the world that does not use Apple products and chooses not to have their PC infected by iTunes spam.
I'm sure there are many people on this list, myself included, who would be interested in assisting you in the production of this material. I have a number of years of video production experience, however there are probably many people closer to you than I am with similar experience.
Pete C.
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

I tried downloading a video podcast from iTunes. Since I do not have a video iPod it would not play in iTunes.
Michelle
I would never be able to use a video purchased from there. What a disappointment.
GWE
Michelle wrote:

Yes you can. They are viewable with the windows version of Quicktime or using the Windows version of iTunes.
They can also be converted to other video formats using freeware tools.
Yes it would require more technical savy, but it makes it much easier for me to distribute them and get a little cash back.

--
"I love deadlines, especially the wooshing sound they make as
they fly by" - Douglas Adams
Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

The latest versions of QT require you to install iTunes spam which will *not* happen on my system. I suggest that there are a number of better ways to distribute your content than a proprietary music oriented platform.
I'm pretty sure you can readily setup a little Ebay store (or similar) and distribute in an MPEG format for download. Producing actual DVDs is not very difficult or expensive these days either, a business I do freelance work for from time to time produces simple DVDs quite regularly.
I spent about 15 years in video production engineering and even longer in the computer system management world. I would be more than happy to assist you in your content authoring efforts if nobody closer steps up (I'm in TX). I'm not opposed to using some vacation time and sky miles on a trip out your way to shoot video if needed since I never seem to take a real vacation anyway. I'm not interested in money BTW, just an interesting project and improving my welding skills. Remove the junk to get 34 in my email if you want to reply off group.
Whatever you do, please stick to a distribution medium that is readily compatible with the bulk of the world, as in hardcopy / DVD or PDF / MPEG.
Pete C.
When my daughter got an Ipod, I installed Itunes on my PC. Suddenly every time I opened any software relating to my CD and music, my previously stable PC crashed. Finally I woke up, smelled the coffee, and uninstalled Itunes. It ain't ever going back on. While welding is a lot of fun, and sometimes money for me, music is the stuff of my life and I *have* to be able to rip songs off CD, edit music, convert between formats, stuff like that.
The google thing sounds a whole lot better to me than that proprietary Apple format.
GWE
Pete C. wrote:

Grant Erwin wrote:

Fortunately for me, music is largely irrelevant to me beyond the radio in the shop or the cable music jazz channel in the house. I took one look at the blurp about iTunes in the latest QT and said Hell No!.
Pete C.
Ernie,
Make sure any you do are in several formats Especially, the MS Media Playuer and maybe even Real Player. I know Mac are good, I still have one, but most people use the MS systems.
Keep us posted.
Blueraven
Hi Ernie,
I would also consider publishing on the new video distribution announced by Google at the CES convention, just check their web site. All they charge is a small percentage of whatever you choose for a price. Would reach a much larger range of customers.
Sorry to start a shit-storm Ernie. I just wondered how it was progressing, knowing the dive welding instruction was going on too. I guess the DVD thing was a proverbial landmine topic. Sorry about that.... I'll buy a regular DVD, or whatever you opt for. I'm sure once it starts selling like wildfire you can tune to the media market as needed. It's a tough call with all the gizmo's out here today and I'm sure the one I have will be obsolete by this weekend anyway and I just got it a few months ago.
Take care,