TIG wire feeding

Alright, how the heck are you supposed to feed 0.8mm wire while wearing gauntlets ? I gave up and have a lovely tan on my left hand.

Any tips would be appreciated !

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

TIG gloves. My favorites are Tillman 24CM's

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Welcome to the party Steve... I bet 99.999% of us here have "sleeves" barbequed on us. Ernie is indeed correct. I have em, just don't wear em' Not the right thing to do I admit freely.

Respects,

Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

TIG pen,

Just a tube with a roller on one side so you can easily roll the rod down the tube.

You can use from 1/16 up to 1/4" rod in the pen and use down to about a inch of rod without burning your fingertips. Takes a bit more manipulation to the TIG equation but you can easily use light gloves.

Bart

Bart D. Hull snipped-for-privacy@inficad.com Tempe, Arizona

Check

my Subaru Engine Conversion Check
Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Steve Taylor wrote:

Reply to
Bart D. Hull

Thanks for the comments. I didn't know about special gloves - I've been wearing full leather gauntlets ! And I didn't know of "Tig Pens" either.

Some good ideas to try. Many Thanks

Steve

Reply to
Steve Taylor

TIG pens are great, a disabled friend now TIGS brilliantly thanks to someone here suggesting one. I am seriously thinking of trying one myself, as I find feeding a thin rod tricky with even light gloves on, but I am a bit hamfisted :)

Reply to
Chris

Or similar. While Im only a newbie dauber..I use the above gloves for tig. I purchase them 1 size larger and put in a common pair of those thin brown cotton gardening gloves as a liner. This gives me excellent control and yet still allows me some heat resistance when moving a work piece around.

Check Ebay for best values on similar gloves. My local welding shop wants $21 per PAIR..where the above sample auction is for 3 pair.

Btw..not all gloves are sized alike..so check out your size in the same glove at a welding supply house..and go from there.

I have a hand like a catchers mitt..so I purchase the XL ones if they are Tillmans.

Marvelous also for MIG as long as you are not overhead.

Also..here in the desert..its pretty hot so I do most of my work in a T-shirt (yah..I know) and have found welding sleeves to be essential when tig welding

I thought they were sissyboy stuff..until I used a pair..and my arms thanked me for it. And Ive lessened the risk of skin cancer a shitload.

Gunner

"If thy pride is sorely vexed when others disparage your offering, be as lamb's wool is to cold rain and the Gore-tex of Odin's raiment is to gullshit in the gale, for thy angst shall vex them not at all. Yea, they shall scorn thee all the more. Rejoice in sharing what you have to share without expectation of adoration, knowing that sharing your treasure does not diminish your treasure but enriches it."

- Onni 1:33

Reply to
Gunner

You can't TIG weld with "banana-finger" welding gauntlets! The special TIG gloves mentioned are made from thin stretchable leather, so they hug the fingers and give you delicate control while blocking UV.

You can with practice feed wire continuously through your fingers. I used 0.8mm stainless wire and could happily cut off 2m (about foot) lengths and use it in an unbroken TIG weld. I used to practice it when on the train home :-) When I pulled out my yellow TIG gloves and my 1.5m of stainless wire (with little loops on end to prevent accidents) folk would look at me a bit funny then decide after a second or so that I was harmless. I could run the wire backwards and forwards in a continuous motion, slowly or quickly.

You need to see Ernie's TIG video - hopefully now available at new location. Anyone say where?

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

no spam