gauges

Some guys colloquially call regulators "gauges". I am not one of them. Most welding regulators have two gauges on them. One is high pressure and the other low.

I buy quality regulators when I see them cheap. I see a lot of them. What I am wondering is what causes the problem when a gauge doesn't quite return to zero. Is it repairable? Does it necessarily mean the gauge is inaccurate?

Thanks,

Grant

Reply to
Grant Erwin

Usually not returning to zero means it has been overpressured and the bourdon tube stretched, though sometimes just applying pressure very fast will make the little sector gear jump a tooth, especially if the gauge is dirty.

I don't know if they are fixable. I have popped the gears a tooth or two to get them to show zero again, but I have never attempted to calibrate one afterwords.

Good Luck, Bob

Reply to
BobH