General purpose wire welding

While we're on the subject I'd like to ask you what you think of Bernard guns.

I'm having a heck of a time keeping tips on my 400 amp Tweco style gun when I'm in spray mode. I want a good gun but my supplier hasn't even heard of Tregaskis but the do stock stuff for the Bernard. So that leaves me with the Miller guns or Bernard.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

I don't like them. Unfortunately Miller's Parent company ITW recently merged Bernard with Oxo. Oxo is one of my all time favorite MIG gun companies. They still make Miller's Roughneck guns.

ITW bought Tregaskiss last year, but they have a history of buying companies and yet leaving them alone.

ITW owns 5 MIG gun companies, 4 TIG torch companies and 3 Plasma cutter torch companies.

From that list go with Miller Roughneck.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ok.

They are a little different that way.

Yep and often go outside for something on there own product.

Good. Thanks. I've been doing a lot of research. I want to get a good gun since I've been doing more spray mode lately.

Reply to
Wayne Cook

Well, I picked up this today:

Btw, how well does the ESAB 7100 Ultra work with a moderate amount of rust? The plate I'm using for the baseplate is somewhat pitted as well as rusted. The pits don't look to be deeper than .025" deep, but my 4 1/2" angle grinder is taking a long time to work it down. Since I've never use the Dual Shield wire before, I'm not sure how well it deals with rust. Spending a moderate amount of time, I seem to be able to clear about 50% bare metal. Getting 100% will be quite a bit longer. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich

That is a very good price.

7100 ultra can eat a small amount of rust with no problems. Just get off all the loose rust and scale with a twisted wire cup brush on your grinder.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

It arrived Friday. Looks to be brand new, but slightly older stock. Seller might have bought some inventory from a store at auction or the like. Stuff was dusty.

(snip)

Actually, I had done this prior to using the grinding disk, so I guess I'm ok. It just didn't look as good as I was hoping after using the brush, so I switched over. Todd

Reply to
Todd Rich