Oh .......... My ........... God

Yesterday, I finally got ahold of a local artisan who makes fantastic
ornamental gates out of a combination of metals, and colors them with heat
and different sorts of platings. He said to call him next week and come
over and he'd show me a lot of how he does it. I want to get a job there
even if it's sweeping. I posted some of these gates at Flickr.

Steve
Reply to
SteveB
"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:
Is this the same person who'd done the gates you'd posted about previously?
These gates are fantastic!
Reply to
RAM³
No wonder you'd even sweep up the place in order to learn from him! [I'd do the same but it's a long way for me to commute. ]
Reply to
RAM³
Yes. I have gone by the shop three times, only to find it closed. I am happy about his attitude, and look forward to this.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
I'd wash his dog. I'd do anything within reason.
One of my first days in the offshore oilpatch an old hand gave me some good advice. He said if you would listen to the experienced old hands, they would gladly teach you all they knew. But, he said, the first time you acted like you didn't need to learn or already knew it all, they would clam up and not tell you if you were about to touch a 440 v. live wire.
Same here.
Steve
Reply to
SteveB
"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:
Having grown up in the oil patch, I know the absolute truth of the "old hand's" statement.
Pertinent questions, when asked at the right time [preferably accompanied by a container of a favored beverage], can also elicit valuable information.
For many years, by following this precept, I learned most of my computer software/hardware skills from people who'd normally never interact with customer personnel. [Usually they'd wait till the customer people wandered off before beginning work or find an unoccupied office where they could be alone.]
As for me, I learned a long time ago that not only did I not have all of the answers but didn't even know what the questions were.
Reply to
RAM³