GMAW Tip consumption

Yesterday I tried a Wire Propellant System for a MM135 and something odd (for me that is) happened. Not that it matters but I've had the machine for about 5 years or so (about the time it came out)

It seemed my contacts became an electrode all of a sudden. I think I know why but I ran out of tips so I can't try it out till later what I get more. I started getting a really nice bead on .025 3105 AL (yeah I was getting pretty happy), I stopped (didn't clip the end) and restarted. Upon restart I had a nice neon show going on and then the tip was waving Cyah! I tried a couple other tips (030 and 035)on 1/8 and the same light show began. This was with minimal voltage to and wirespeed in all situations (very low like 1/10 for sheet and 5/60 for the 1/8) the . Stickout might have been a wee bit too low

I would assume the problem is too low of a wire speed causing the tip to be consumed rather than the wire. Since I don't have any parameters to fallback on it seems I'm gonna have to use a bunch of tips to figure it out

Thanks,

-CAL

Reply to
cl