Slow throw 50a breaker?? regular HD ok??

My lincoln manual suggests I get a 50a slow blo or slow kick breaker? sounds expensive, can i just run a standard 50a ? what have you guys used. Great great info here THANKS to EVERYONE!!! G

Reply to
me

RoyJ

I asked Square D if their QO series of breakers which are very common were all HACR rated since I had seen some marked as such and some not. They said they all were. HACR stands for Heating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration I think which means they are made to tolerate the high startup currents that such devices require. I would consider this similar to Slo-Blo but I am not going to get into any arguments about it. I would guess that the other popular manufacturers breakers may be the same.

I have a Miller 225A stick welder that I run off a 40A breaker and have never had it trip. Most of the time I am under 140A but I have run it flat out without problem for a short period. Miller says I should have a 50-60A breaker for it. The breaker powering the welder is a Federal Pioneer Stablok not a Square-D QO. One thing about using high-currents you don't stick the rod down as easily! Billh

Reply to
billh

Ask an electrical inspector in your area. Here, the code recognizes that welding is an intermittent operation and allows a 60AMP breaker to be used with #8 wire.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards