rec'd small DC 120 Volt welder

I need a small portable DC welder for those odd small welding jobs when I
can't haul my 240 volt units around. I have gone through TWO Harbor Freight
80 Amp Inverter arc welders (Item 91110 - pure crapola!) These looked like
the perfect units, being very light weight and with enough capacity, at
least according to the HF specs, but they burn out if you look at them
sideways. Do you folks recommend any decent quality small DC welders,
hopefully at a reasonable price.
Thanks
John
Reply to
Doctor John
Where are you located? Is a Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC buzzbox too big for you? I have mine in a cage on casters, makes it oh so much more portable. Reason I ask is that I recently acquired an Airco AC/DC 225/150 amp welder which is a Miller Thunderbolt with an Airco badge on it. Works just fine, but it's surplus to my needs. Probably not cost-effective to ship, though. If you live anywhere near Seattle, Washington, though, it might be a good deal for you. Cool red color, too.
Grant Erwin Kirkland, Washington
Reply to
Grant Erwin
If he doesnt want it...hang on to it until you pass through my place again. Im sure we can find you enough Stuff for a trade
Gunner
Gunner
I'm not going to be able to do that, Dr. G -- I only acquired it in trade for something and the idea is to sell it. Need the do-re-mi this time. You're going to have to limp along on the 8 or 10 welders you have already!
Grant
Reply to
Grant Erwin
Sure you dont need a surface grinder or something?
Gunner
Gunner
Hey Guys - lets get back to the topic! Any small welder recommendations out there ???
Reply to
Doctor John
You didn't post your location or if a small buzzbox would work for you. I'm not really trying to sell you one, mine will easily sell locally when I get ready. My point was that putting a cage around one of the little AC/DC welders makes them one-man portable. You can see mine in this old picture in the background:
Sorry for going OT with Gunner, I hate it when people do that and here I'm doing it. - GWE
Doctor John wrote:
Reply to
Grant Erwin
I'm in the Fort Collins area of northern Colorado. I'm looking for a very small portable welder. I have an AC buzzbox and a decent MIG welder, but both require 240 V and are on the heavy side. The little Harbor Freight inverter welders I tried were the perfect size, and would have been great except for the slight problem of them burning out the first time I used them. I wonder if there is a quality inverter DC 120 volt small welder out there??
John
Reply to
Doctor John
You know what you want!! It's hard to justify that much money. Now they have gone and added high frenquency to the mix. With or without tig was hard enough. Another John
Reply to
John D
Check out the miller Maxstar series. The 150 S is 110/220 and weighs about 14 pounds.

Eide
Reply to
Eide
You might want to look at the Thermal Arc machines
They have a small DC only inverter stick machine (P-Wee 160S) and a TIG machine (P-Wee 160TS). Both machines will run on 120/230V. The larger ProWave185TSW is pretty well regarded as being a reasonably priced decent quality TIG machine. I looked at it seriously last winter when I was shopping for a new machine. I don't know about the prices for the 160's, the 185TSW was about $1800 with a gas cooled torch and regulator.
The litle Miller Dynasty looks like a sweet machine, but it was a good bit more money. Ask around about the Miller Maxstar if you are thinking about one of them, I seem to remember a few complaints in this newsgroup about the reliability of the small ones about a year ago.
Good Luck, Bob
Reply to
MetalHead