interesting cheap homebrew engine-driven welder

This same idea was in a _Mother's Earth News_ article back in the late

70's or early 80's They used a 12V Deep cycle battery to help stabilize the arc.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

Has anyone else even built this and does it work? What would the price be to build this unit moreless.

Reply to
Don D

could most of the parts be bought at most elect. stores? Why would you need to stabilize the arc with 12 V?

Reply to
Don D

Most of the parts can be scrounged out of a junkyard.

Since it uses an automobile alternator to produce the welding current, a 12V battery keeps the sudden high current draw of arc starting from stalling the motor.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

heres what I did

Wayne

The "SMAW" link returns the irritating "404- page not found". Didn't try the others.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Here's the real link:

Rex S.

Bob Engelhardt wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

Reply to
ShadowHawk

I see the problem, it looks like he's changed the web host. (only the person in control of the site can fix).

no longer works.
is the currently working link.

Good site Wayne. I haven't been there in a while. It looks like you've been "playing".

Reply to
Zorro

I am in the process of moving my group stuff off my family sight and missed a link sorry

Reply to
Wayne

For the other cheap people like me here is a do-it-yourself TIG welder that is pretty impressive made out of an auromotive alternator.

Dick Steflik B> D>

Reply to
Dick Steflik