Interesting weld pic

This came off of CNN story on the Large Hadron Collider

Bare handed Tig gets you a good sunburn.

Reply to
RoyJ

Interesting picture.

Is he welding, or just using some high intensity light with a hand held mirror to check out a weld? I don't see anything in his hand that looks like a TIG torch. His right hand has a glove, so you would expect him to use the right hand to hold the torch but he's only holding what looks like a mirror to me with his right hand.

I've also never seen a mask like that either. His ears are going to get a nice burn as well if he welds with that which again makes me wonder if something else other than welding is taking place in that picture.

Ah, or maybe, it's some type of hand held laser welding process he is using so there is no IR to deal with, only bright laser light to keep out of your eyes? Does such a process exist?

Reply to
Curt Welch

Thank you for the domain hyperlink.

Cern and I and a few have been corresponding from time to time for many years. Wonderful researchers there and Batavia.

I sent this note to a friend in California pertaining Higgs particle.

I'm writing a letter to my dad, 88 this year, on Higgs Boson and Top quarks. He and I are convinced that H0 , the Higgs, is a major component of black matter or is it. H0 oscillates between itself and a top and anti-top particles and H0 has mass. We await the "Large Hadron Collider" (LHC) at Cern to prove the existence of the Higgs. It might be that the Higgs is one of several quark oscillators that make up 1/3 of the black stuff in space. The 2/3 part is black energy - that of conservation - when the mass of a Higgs drops to 1/500 of itself in energy in the process of transforming into 'tops' energy is released. It is absorbed in reverse.

Thanks those are nice pictures. Martin

Mart> This came off of CNN story on the Large Hadron Collider

Martin H. Eastburn

Reply to
RoyJ

I worked for a company that did FINE stainless steel work. Lots of sitting at a bench and welding with weldments right in front of you at hand level. After the first day, I had a really good V shaped sunburn on my chest where my hood and shirt didn't cover. The next day, I attatched a piece of suede leather that went down to my chest. A couple of guys made fun of it. But by the time I left there, most everyone had spliced a "snood" on their helmet to protect their neck and adams apple area. They are also great if you do much overhead.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Back in High school, my senior year (1983) I worked part time at Purdue's University's Central Machine shop. At the time we were building parts for the Collider Detector Facility at Batavia. It was fascinating work, building HUGE steel pie wedges to be shipped to Batavia. I was very proud of having made the massive cotter pin that held the assembly positioning jig to the crane.

We're not cowboys, we're not chefs. We're the boys from CDF. We don't dance, and we don't sing. We catch hadrons in a ring. Yeah Fermilab.

Ah the memories.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I cut a gauntlet off a welding glove and pop-riveted to the chin of my hood for a similar reason (sunburn and slag kept going down my shirt). Works great. It's kind of a major league umpire look.

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

He's not welding at the MOMENT. I can identify an inspection mirror in his right (gloved) hand, I might guess he's holding a light in his left. Funny mask he's wearing, maybe that is a face shield and he's actually grinding the weld or wire brushing.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Got me one hell of a good sunburn on the vee under my hood where my T shirt didn't cover. Not sure what this guy is doing, but I see guys welding all the time with bare skin.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB