Large chuck???

I am looking for a method of turning large pipes of varying diameters.
I need something one end to make it turn. I can fabricate the machine
but need a really large chuck 12"-14" to hold the pipes. I would like
to find a used chuck close by (Dallas, TX) if possible to avoid
shipping charges. so if anyone has something that fits the bill,
please advise.
Also, I am not stuck on the idea of a chuck. If anyone has another
method of accomplishing the same goal, I would like to hear it.
Reply to
Loading thread data ...
Round plate, 3 posts, with BIG nuts welded on the ends. 3 BIG bolts fed through the nuts to makes a simple 3 jaw chuck.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
You don't need a chuck if you are simply turning the pipe. If you need torque force for machining then you are forced to use a chuck or faceplate. If you are turning the pipe for a welding operation you only need one drive wheel driven by a gear reducer and chain drive to the wheel. The pipe would be set on on two pairs of wheels. You only need one driver. Randy
Reply to
Randy Zimmerman
Rollers, or casters, are also useful for accomplishing this goal. They are much more compact than something with a chuck, and handle any diameter. You can put as many sets of rollers/casters for length. Each pair is set apart by some distance that accommodates the pipe diameter. It is pretty easy to build a jig that will accommodate just about any diameter and length.
Driving the workpiece can be done by way of a rubber caster, and a motor. The great part is that once you've set the caster to drive at a certain rate (lfpm) it is the same no matter what pipe diameter you are using. Alternatively, you can use a pulley with a belt, and a tension wheel.
Again, it depends what you are doing. This jig is useful for making semi-automated pipe welds. Once you set this up, and support a torch appropriately, welding pipe is very easy.
Reply to
Guy Morin
When I wanted to weld some largish pipe, I made two carriers. Each was two casters bolted to a piece of bedframe and the bedframe clamped to my welding table. I didn't need it power driven but others have addressed that.
Reply to
Ted Edwards
I would look at a headstock/tailstock positioner
Reply to

PolyTech Forum website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.