Lincoln gun question

"SteveB" wrote: (clip) The geek told me to make

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ "The geek," as you call him, was making a very valid suggestion. Until you try that test, you do not know whether the problem is in the gun or in the welder. Do the test--it will take only a couple of minutes.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I have a Lincoln 175 SP+. It welds for a second, then cuts off. Sometimes it welds fine. Other times, it's off/on for a second and that's it. A while back, I took the cheesy plastic gun apart, and it worked fine for a while after that. I called the supplier here today, and he said he could send it to Vegas. I took the gun apart again, and bent the little contact points up a bit in case they weren't making contact. What a set of contact points! A very small washer on a plastic plunger. The geek told me to make a shunt between the spade terminal contacts and see if the motor ran continuously. I did not have a chance to do that today as I did some other welding with my SA200 on some awning supports. Anyone have this problem, and what did it turn out to be?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Sounds like a dirty or kinked gun liner. They cost around $10 to replace.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I welded with it today, and it ran fine most of the time. On liners, I used to run .045 liners on my Millermatic 200 no matter which wire I used. I did use the proper tip. The .045 liner lasted about three times as long as the .035, and didn't cause any problems I was aware of. Now, if I could have gotten the employees to quit pulling the machine around by the gun, they probably would have lasted longer. I have heard that .045 liners are available for these, and think I will just put one in there for GP and see what happens.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB