Mechanical Properties of electircal conduit

Has anyone out there mig welded electrical conduit? I know conduit is not structural but I am curious about it's weldability.

Reply to
Edwin

It welds OK...Just grind off the galvanizing at the welds and keep outta the smoke....

HTH

Jeff

Reply to
Never_Enough_Tools

I've made several extra-deep sockets from a couple of standard sockets welded to each end of a piece of 1/2" EMT. So far, they've held up to

150ft.lbs. or so.
Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks for the feed-back. I am planning to make a mockup of a three wheel recumbent bike and figured conduit might be an economical material to use. I had neglected the galvanizing, so thanks for pointing it out.

Regards,

Edwin

Reply to
Edwin

Three problems: it's galvanzied inside and out, clean off with a grinder or dip the end in Muriatic acid. The tube is a weird sized, it is not compatable with either inch dies or pipe dies. The mterial is extremely soft (very low yield strength) so if forms easily but a handle or frame will bend easily.

It works well for mock> Has anyone out there mig welded electrical conduit? I know conduit is not

Reply to
RoyJ

"RoyJ" wrote: it's galvanzied inside and out, ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ I know everyone talks about the zinc problem. I weld it all the time with both O/A and flux-core MIG. I work outdoors with plenty of fresh air, and have never had a problem. The books talk about heartburn, and drinking milk. I'm not saying you should do this on my say-so, but I'm just relating my experience. It's pretty easy to see the wisps of white zinc oxide floating in the air and avoid inhaling them. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ The tube is a weird sized, it is not compatable with either inch dies or pipe dies. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ However, it is fully compatible with the hickeys that electricians use.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Assuming you are talking about the indoor THIN- walled variety. The outdoor kind is practically indistinguishable from regular pluming pipe.

Reply to
Richard Crowley

Edwin,

There are plans on the Mother Earth News web site, I welded up the recumbent for my neighbor. The name of the article is Mothers "cut-rate" Recumbent Bike, issue #81 - March/April 1983. This bike is made completely with electrical metallic tubing (EMT) I was skeptical but put in my time, the bike worked perfectly. It isn't a bad 3 wheel bent for a weekend project. The only changes I made was the wheels, couldn't bring myself to make wheels out of conduit. I just checked their site and it was down, if you can't get to it let me know. I might still have the plans somewhere and e-mail to you. Here is the URL

gives the message that service is unavailable

Regards, chaz

Reply to
chaz

I have used 1/2" heavy wall emt tubing for quite a few projects. It has an ID of 5/8" which works great for making axles for carts or anything else you want to put wheels on. A lot of those cheap $4.99 pneumatic wheels have a center bushing ID of 5/8" which work great for carts. I use 5/8" OD rod for the axles. I weld it with flux-core after grinding most of the coating off. I weld it outside to get plenty of fresh air and keep my head out of the flume.

Reply to
bitternut

it isn't? My father has a 20+ year old folding ladder used for deer hunting made with electrical conduit and joined with brazing. wokred so well he build 2nd one without the foling joints as they kept getting hung up in brush. makes a great 20ft sled.

Reply to
Tater