Mig arc pulsating

IVe been stick welding for over 20 years, but I'm new at Mig. OK, I bought = the Harbor Freight $89 Flux core welder and it worked good at first. A nice= steady arc. Yesterday the arc was pulsating like off and on several times = a second. I tried slow wire feed and fast wire speed, no difference in the = arc. What I'm I doing wrong? Or is it the welder which is still in warenty? Thanks.

Reply to
Harry

Harbor Freight $89 Flux core welder and it worked good at first. A nice steady arc. Yesterday the arc was pulsating like off and on several times a second. I tried slow wire feed and fast wire speed, no difference in the arc. What I'm I doing wrong? Or is it the welder which is still in warenty?

See p.29 "Welding arc not stable"

For technical questions, please call 1-800-444-3353.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

OK guys, change the extension cord from a 16 ga to 12 ga and what a world o= f difference. It solved the problem. It's not too good for really light stu= ff(burn thru), but for $89 it sure is handy.I'm going to print out the manu= al since mine is different and not as detailed. Thanks again and Happy New Year. Harry

Reply to
Harry

difference. It solved the problem. It's not too good for really light stuff(burn thru), but for $89 it sure is handy.I'm going to print out the manual since mine is different and not as detailed.

Note that on page 7, it says: "If an extension cord is used, it must have the following wire size: up to 30 feet, use 10 AWG size wire; 30 to 50 feet, use 8 AWG wire; Over 50 feet, use 6 AWG wire."

'Glad you found the problem.

Happy New Year!

--Winston

Reply to