MIG Gun tips

I just changed my MIG wire from .030 to .023 for doing some smaller stuff.

In the past, I have always used an oversized tip, as they seem never to bind up or get fried shut.

Is this an okay thing to do?

I started doing this with my Millermatic 200 in the 80s. Running .045 tips no matter what wire. Lots less binding.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

In my humble, non professional opinion NO. I was taught that this tip is the only contact for the current to flow through to get the spark. My instructor said that you should change the tip for a new one every 45 main of welding, and most he speaks to, who say they have trouble getting a good flow, often do not renew the tip often enough. ;-)

Like I say I only Hobby weld, but I have very few problems with the Argoshield Gas I use, not that dirty CO2 ;-), and regular tip changes.

I'm sure there are many other reasons for using the correct tip and other more experienced welders here will pop into this to help justify what I've said.

Only point I have on top of this is that I seem to remember that Aluminium requires a larger tip as it often expands when in use, but if I'm wrong I'm sure I'll be told. ;-)

Hope this helps, and will watch this one to see if I'm doing things write or not ;-)

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

I will often run a liner one size bigger than the wire I am using but will always run the matching tip. In steel that is the marked size on the tip is the same as the wire size. For aluminum it is a tip one size larger than the wire. Unless the tip is specifically made and sized for AL and the slightly larger hole is already in to handle the expansion of the AL wire.

Tips are CHEAP! I change the tip at the first sign of wear or damage.

It is just not worth fighting with an old tip.

Are you sure you are not comparing the bigger tip with a right size tip that was damaged and dragging on the wire?

michael

Reply to
pipedope

"pipedope" wrote

No, but I did forget to mention that I always bought .045 liners when the others were clogging up. Lots more life in them, and they can even be soaked in acetone for a little longer life.

But I did use .045 on .035 wire. Guess now I'll just RTFM and follow directions.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B