MIG welding help please

Greetings all you MIG Types, I am rebuilding a vintage gokart for a customer. The next step is welding the sheet metal seat back and floor to the frame. The frame is mild steel 1 inch dia tubing with about .094 wall thickness. The sheet metal is mild steel .050 thick. The original welds were mig welded and the weld bead is quite low. I want to copy this weld profile. My machine is a Lincoln SP125+. I will of course practice on some scrap to get the settings right but right now I'm looking for any tips that will help me get the desired profile. I could TIG the thing but the TIG welds beads won't look the same. Thanks, Eric

Reply to
etpm

As you say, start on scrap. Consult the guide that is inside the flap. When welding, keep the puddle aimed at the thicker part (the tubing) and let it accumulate and flow over to the sheet metal so just the edge of the puddle is what melts the sheet metal, and not the biggest part of the arc. Position the weld any way you can and any time you can so you are welding on the flat. Vertical down is especially easy with MIG, and can make a weld with a good appearance, but may be daunting to the newbie. Try it first on your scrap. Lastly, I like to take my SP 175+, set it hot, and do a series of spot welds so that it looks like TIG, yet distinctive enough to attract the attention of any real welder. Practice, and do the next spot when the color of the previously done puddle cools to a red. This will keep the metal hot so there is penetration and fusion, yet not heat it to critical melting point and hot short failure mode. It does hold, too, and really looks great if you keep the heat on the thick part and let it flow to the sheet metal. Use plenty of clamps and stagger your welds, or just wait between runs because that sheet metal will wander all over, and once it has started, you lost.

Let us know how it comes out.

Long flowing welds look great. The sequential puddle spot welds are a show off thing, but a fun thing to learn and do.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Eric,

What you might want to try to do is turn the mig welding wire feed speed down.

A faster wire speed will build up the weld A slower wire speed will not build up the weld, and will be flatter. (but more prone to burn through)

Hope this helps.

P.s could also try much smaller diameter mig wire.

Making Welding Simple

Reply to
peterapalais