Miller DialArc 250 AC/DC - Tripping 50 Amp Breaker on Start Up

Rick can look at page 27,28 of

This is not a very complicated welder. You can test its individual components. Like proletariat, you have nothing to lose besides this already broken welder.

Ignoramus12379

If I could remember the guy's name, number, or email I would try to get the money back.

Is there a more detailed one than comes inside the cover of the machine? I don't know much about electrical theory.

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

see my another post with a link to the dialarc manual.

How much do you know about electricity, exactly?

Do you know what is current, voltage and power?

If you know nothing at all, then I would say the above advice does not apply and you should scrap it or sell as broken. But maybe you remember something from high school in the back of your mind.

Ignoramus12379

If you want an excellent small Stick machine, my current favorite for small machines is the Miller Maxstar 200STR. For $1650, it really can't be beat.

If you need really small the Maxstar 150s are good, but limited to

3/32" electrodes for 110 volt input. On 220 volt input you can just run 1/8" rods. We had one for 1 week at school before we traded up to the 200 STR.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I don't know crap about electricity. However, my brother-in-law knows some and a guy at work knows it. So, I'm going to ask for some help and see if I can't get it running good. But, I'll price out the parts starting with the rheostat.

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Well, after the many encouraging emails and a look at the schematic for the machine, I've ordered the proper rheostat and on|off switch for the machine and will set to fixing it (hopefully) when the parts come in.

I'll keep everyone posted...

Reply to
Rick Barter

Can you explain what exactly made you believe that you need to replace rheostat and on/off switch? I am not saying that your decision is wrong, but I would like to know what made you decide to do so.

Reply to
Ignoramus4495

The on/off switch was just to match what should have been in the machine. A 60-amp switch was called for, but there was a 200-amp breaker switch in its place.

The repair man also said that the rheostat that was in there was the wrong one. After discussing the symptoms of the machine and the schematic with a guy at work who knows about electrical, we decided to replace the rheostat with the right one.

The original one was ceramic. The guy at work and I talked and he said there are different kinds of rheostats and that if someone just picked one and installed it, it could be causing the behaviour I was seeing. So, while it is taking a stab at it, it is at least and educated guess.

The other reason was that, like you and Gunner have said, it's a fairly simple machine and the things that could go wrong are minimal. And at a grand total of about $175, it is worth a shot. I paid $300 for the darn thing and I'd like it to work right.

Don't get me wrong, I've been using it successfully, it's just not "right" if you know what I mean. And I'm too anal to just let something like that continue. I can't leave things broken.

rvb

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Could be.

Sounds like a fun project. Was the machine bumped at some point, so that original rheostat and switch were physically broken? Any idea what started this trouble?

Ignoramus26157

I have no idea. It came like that. I bought it off of CraigsList.

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

Messing with this may be very time consuming, but very educational. Keep us posted. I am personally very interested.

Reply to
Ignoramus16024

Will do. Hopefully the parts will be in soon.

-- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Reply to
Rick Barter (rvb)

I have a Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC with a remote tig head. I added a plug for a footswitch/remote rehostat to it and pretty much went over the whole setup. One thing that comes to mind is the powerfactor caps if yours happens to have them they could be toast and popping a 50 amp breaker. Not all of em came with the PF caps.

If you need any info holler but send me an e-mail as I haven't had much time to check the list lately.

Reply to
Glenn

hi guys, i just read this thread and it is very informative and valuable! thanks! I just told the electrician to put in a 60A fuse ... he kept saying that welders dont take more than 30A ... i told him this was an older machine .... still he did not believe me so i took to the internetz for verification. i cant believe the manual recommends a 125A fuse....

what size wire are you running for your welder? 6/2? 6/3?

- Dave

Reply to
Dave C / DxC

My Dialarc 250 is comfortable with a 60 amp breaker, winter or summer.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""

Reply to
Gunner Asch

How do you fix the burned straps?

Reply to