Miller trailblazer 250?

I just got an older Miller Trailblazer 250 in a trade for some repair work.
It hasn't been used in 20 years and the gas is very stale but the motor
isn't locked up. I'm sure I'll be able to get it going and I'm really
excited about having electric start. (my even older Miller gas engine welder
is rope start)
My question has to do with the MIG part of this unit. There are settings
for smaw and gmaw but no place to put wire or a gas bottle. What do you have
to have to run wire with this machine.
Reply to
Bill Griffin
A suitcase feeder
or a spoolgun.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
What you have is an "engine drive". What you need is a "wire feeder". The feeder holds the wire spool and gas valve. The MIG gun and hose connect to the wire feeder to get wire, power and shielding gas. Look on the Miller web site for wire feeders.
A wire feeder will also work with a CV power source that is not already a MIG machine with the spool and valve built-in.
Reply to
Thomas Kendrick
Thanks, judging from the prices of the suitcase and spoolgun, I guess it would make more sense to take my XP135 and run it off the power outlet if I need to do a little MIG in the field. I've got to get it running first, man that old gas is rank! I might end up converting it to run on propane since I probably won't run a tank of gas through it in a year anyway. Most everything I need to weld will fit in my shop but it is nice to have the option of a road show if I need it. Bill
Reply to
Bill Griffin
About the cheapest feeder is the 3045FC, though as you say, if you already have a MIG machine it's cheaper to run it from the generator power.
Reply to
Thomas Kendrick
I would suggest that you leave it as a gasoline unit ...propane looses about 25% of the available power.. I have a 11kw generator ....on propane it is 8 kw
Reply to
Frank & Jenny Craven