Motorcycle frames, what steel?

I would like to know what steel motorcycle frames are. I am considering building a bike.

Also, what about sand rails (dune buggy's) and roll bars? Are they the same as motorcycle frames?

Thanks for any help.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

4130 or 1018 DOM. 4130 is much stronger, but takes more care to weld properly. 1018 DOM (Drawn over Mandrel) tubing is much easier to work with.

These 2 tubing types are used for cars, bikes, motorcycles, and aircraft frames.

Most pros use 4130 since you can use a thinner wall tube so the frame ends up lighter, but just as strong as a heavier wall 1018.

If it is going to be raced, then often there are restrictions on materials set forth by whoever is running the race.

1018 can be MIG welded, or TIG welded. 4130 is best TIG welded.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Since the subject of 4130 is on, what would be the correct filler rod for tig on 4130? Is there a certain temperature that has to obtained for normalization or can you read the color of the metal? Thanks

Randy

Reply to
Randy Reid

ER-80S-D2 / Check out Tigdepot.com

Reply to
FThera

ER80S-D2 filler rod. It is available in small quantities from

If you use ER80S-D2 then no post weld heat treat is necessary.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Every time I think I know what you guys are doing I get it wrong somehow. I knew that Nascar was moving everybody into 1018 tube, but didn't know that the motorcycle frame guys had gone their too.

That is nice to know. I have repaired a few Ducati frames. I treated them as if they were 4130 and tempered the welds, but oh well, no harm done.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Best source of information on this subject might be found at Experimental Aircraft Association. Almost all steel airplanes use 4130 tube for the structure.

And, for the most part, are oxy/acetelene welded.

Too many of the clusters are at angles that make getting a MIG gun in close enough to weld. TIG is gaining in popularity, but the cost of a good set up might be more than the cost of the airplane....

Richard

Ernie Leimkuhler wrote:

Reply to
Richard Lamb

Interesting stuff on frames but Lucas, Prince of Darkness, electronic ignition? Shudder!!

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Thanks guys. This is very helpful.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

Generally mild steel.

  1. Look at
  2. Get Motorcycle Chassis Design (Vic Willoughby/ Tony Foale) and Motorcycle handling and chassis desogn (Foale)
  3. Join the Motorcycle Chassis mailing list - see the Eurospares site. Geoff
Reply to
Geoff M