Noob jumping in-Ping Ernie,pls...

Finally decided to add a welder to my arsonal of tools that I collect/ use/torture cars with. I remember reading a Millermatic 251 was a good

1st machine to cut teeth with. Please advise if that still stands. My workload will be auto, light fab, maybe trailer building...occaisanal bbq pit. I want to over buy for growth potential. Any opinions are appreciated.

WJTarwid Give a man a fish, he eats for that day- Teach a man to fish, he eats for life- Teach a man to cook, and everyone else gives him their fish

Reply to
tarwid

I cut my teeth on a MillerMatic 200, which I bought new in 1982 for $1252. If the 251 is anything like that machine, you can't go wrong.

With the exception of trailer building if you choose heavier materials, it should cover a lot. Now with FCAW welding, even the heavier welding can be done confidently. I just happen to be a 7018 man myself when it comes to absolutely positively HAS to stay together. Your mileage and experience may vary.

And, I would wait for a while to get the experience to do trailers. When you do small stuff, it doesn't matter if the wheel falls off. On trailers, you are betting the lives of others, so do it right, and with the confidence only experience and training can bring.

Welcome to Welders Anonymous.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yes that is a great machine. Add a spoolgun for aluminum. The Miller 30A Spoolgun is my favorite spoolgun by the big makers.

Reply to
stagesmith

Thanks for the direction. The unit is a 252, no longer the 251, as per EBAY/ Miller website. I will get the 30A gun. What other needs are there so I can actually weld? Helmet, wire, gas...others? The best price I have found is EBAY with a BIN option @ $2900 for the unit/gun and shipping. Any thoughts on this?

Reply to
tarwid