Operating LE Handy Mig 1100

Hallo, I'm newbie in welding, it is my first message on this group, too. I just buyed Lincoln Electric Handy Mig 1100 and now I'm lerning to weld. When I use Innershield 211-MP it's very easy, but when I tried UltraMag with 100% CO2 shielding i couldn't start and maintain the arc. Could you give me some advice about voltage switch and electrode feed settings.

TIA, Marek Piosik Gdansk,Poland

Reply to
Marek

When switching from fluxcore (innershield 211-MP) to solid wire (UltraMag) you need to change the polarity of the gun from negative to positive. Also, with that machine, you may like a

75%Argon/25%CO2 mix of gas but that's your decision. Polarity change is an absolute. Once you do the polarity change, I think your other questions will be answered. There may be a chart for voltage/wire speed on the machine or in the manual. Be sure you follow the chart settings for the type of wire/gas/wire size combination you are using.
Reply to
Zorro

you need to change the polarity of

75%Argon/25%CO2 mix of gas but

polarity change, I think your other

the machine or in the manual. Be

combination you are using.

Agreed!!!! polarity makes a HUGE difference!!!!

Reply to
Doobie

U¿ytkownik "Doobie" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:3V0Lb.64817$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com...

OK, polarity was changed, but there is no chart for wire/gas/wire size combination. Maybe someone has that chart and could send it to me? I can not find it on the Net...

TIA Marek

Reply to
Marek

Since your machine doesn't have a chart it may be better for you to take notes of your test settings and make your own. By looking at the tiny chart in the manual, there's not a whole lot of range. You will eventually learn the ballpark settings by practice once you know the sound of the arc "sweet spot". From there you may want a bit more or less fine adjustment. Don't get frustrated, remember it's fun! It's not as hard as learning to juggle but there are several different things to pay attention to all at once. Note: [I classify] your machine as a "baby MIG" and it is severely limited in power. Within it's limits, it is an ok machine.

Here is an owner's manual for a "Handy Mig". Maybe it's the same as the Handy Mig 1100.

Lincoln's MIG/MAG Welding Guide is very good.
These charts are good for future reference.

Zorro

U¿ytkownik "Zorro" napisa³ w wiadomo¶ci news:pYgLb.533$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...

notes of your test settings and make

lot of range. You will eventually

"sweet spot". From there you may

it's fun! It's not as hard as learning

in power. Within it's limits, it is

Thank you, really great links! BTW, I was not frustrated, but i had to weld exhaust in my wife's car (this time, you know, it wasn't fun ;-) Owners manual is exactly for my machine. I'll made testing tomorrow.

Marek

Reply to
Marek