Auto darkening filters and HID lighting

Are all auto darkening filters turned on by HID lighting?

No, just the cheap ones.
On Wed, 07 Jan 2004 18:49:12 GMT, Ernie Leimkuhler

I think I'll call bullshit.
While I'm sure manufacturers could use wavelength specific photo sensors, and have the helmets ignore all but UV, why would they?
My speedglass helmet will turn on with a flashlight pointed at it, and I don't think they are considered "cheap" helmets.
HID lamps produce UV as well as visible light, so they have a better chance of triggering auto darkening helmets than an incandescent bulb does.
Dave

WHAT I MEANT... Was that good LCD lenses are adjustable so you can set them not to react to ambient light, no matter what kind it is.
My Nexgen lens allows me to perform low amp TIG welds in bright sunlight.

Apparently the better LCD lenses react on the arc ripple frequency, so they will not switch on continuous (sun)light.

I guess it all depends on what you have the sensitivity set at....The "orange" HID lights will trip my helmet but the brighter "white" ones will not!!! weird huh!!??
John Mirely wrote: Are all auto darkening filters turned on by HID lighting? ^^^^^^^^^^^^ What does HID stand for? I think I have the idea from the context, but I'd still like to know.
When I was shopping for an auto darkening helmet, the dealer made it darken with a flint striker. I was told that it is the spikey nature of the light that does it, not the brightness or wavelength.

I'd
darken
light
I think you are correct but I don't know if it is true for all makes and models and I also don't know if that is just the easiest way to trigger the darkening. In other words, will it darken in the presence of high-intensity steady light? Other factor is the sensitivity to certain parts of the spectrum. Billh

Halide discharge. <?>

--
"There is nothing new in the world
except the history you do not know."

High Intensity Discharge

Oye! <g>
My helmet filter turns dark when I turn it up toward Bright Flourescent lights! I assume other bright lights will set it off too.

I'd
darken
light