Outhouse Contest

I will be building an outhouse this spring at our mountain cabin. I want to make it the common two holer, one side with a crescent moon in the door, the other door with a star, according to 19th century practice.

I have decided to make the outhouse unique that I would put on various decorations and things that one would find on the roof of a house or building. These may be junk items, garage sale treasures, or really anything creative, funny, artsy, scientific, or just plain stupid.

I have some ideas, but would like to hear from everyone in case I have overlooked something obvious. I won't post my ideas, as everyone will have a clean slate to suggest what they would put.

I want to put so many items that it will seem like the base of an underground bunker or CIA shack.

When the outhouse is completed, pictures will be posted for all to see. The poster with the most unusual item that goes on it will receive a framed picture to post in THEIR outhouse.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

My dad gave my sister and her husband a book all about outhouses when they bought an old farm in Indiana. Lots of pictures. We all learned from that book that traditionally the Mens outhouse had a Sun on the door, and the Women's outhouse had the Crescent Moon.

I will see if I can get the name of the book.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

A sheet copper roof would look pretty cool. beaded and tacked down with a gable roof slope. Maybe a vent would be helpful. a place for your favorite reading material and heck, wall mount an Air conditioner or heater. "Shrinkage" in the winter sucks when hunting or fishing!!

Sounds like a fun project, No crap-shack is complete without a rifle rack by the way! I have an old condom vending machine like you'd find in the night clubs I'll sell reasonably cheap and it's still well stocked. I had it in my bathroom before my last Ex. Now it's in storage. I don't need one being solo at present :)

All the best, Rob

Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.

Reply to
RDF

I am lucky to have "Early American Architecture" by Joe Clark HBSS (An out house picture book!) Autographed even. Lynchburg Hardware and General Store - Tennessee naturally.

I know the grandson - and Joe Clark wanted to preserve the hill special buildings.

Can have a sheet tin roof. Some outhouses leaded to the East - some to the west.

Security was a rotating button - a 'bar' of wood with a nail midway - keeps the door closed from the outside :-) (just need a flipper iron on the inside if the kids come by)

Some had a small wood stove - for the cold winter! Some double seater some singles. Some with mirrors. Some just built two smaller ones - easier to move to a new hole...

Drive by ones are rare - keep roads away - attracts unwanted visitors :-)

If living in a windy area - maybe sheet steel on that side to kill the wind.

Some have peak roofs some slant ones. Depends on the snow fall. Peak - puts the snow on the sides. Slope - behind the 'house'.

And - always a little reading material area - and a place to hang a lantern.

Martin

Martin Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH, NRA Life NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder

SteveB wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"Ernie Leimkuhler" wrote

A site I found for everyone's enlightenment and amusement .............

It has some of the things you mentioned.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB