Oxy-Acetylene Equipment

I'm planning on buying a new oxy-acetylene outfit--which company makes the highest-quality gear?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

New? Victor.
But seriously, why buy new? Look at your local craigslist and follow up on a few ads, educate yourself on the difference between owner and rental cylinders, and save about $500. There are excellent torch & regulator repair places around who can fix just about anything that might turn out to be wrong.
It won't stay shiny long, and after it isn't shiny anymore what have you gotten for your money?
That's my take, guaranteed to be worth at least what you paid for it :-)
Grant

I'm not paying for it, so I don't care what it costs ;-). I have been told to buy new, however, not used.
The tanks themselves will be rented from the local supplier.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Then you have the choice of buying an "outfit" which gets you a torch handle, a cutting attachment, the smallest rosebud, a few welding tips, two single stage regulators and some miscellany, or going "a la carte" where you could buy a real cutting torch, whatever handle you want along with whatever tips you want, two stage heavy duty regulators, and type T welding hose.
Grant
On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 15:04:46 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Victor Journeyman Outfit. -- As Iron Sharpens Iron, So One Man Sharpens Another. Proverbs 27:17

Perhaps, but I was quoted more to repair a Smith cutting head than it cost me for a new Victor head the same size. They can repair it, but seriously look and see if its worth it.

If I was buying new, and I wasn't paying for it, I would go to the same place I was getting my gas from and buy the Victor Journeyman kit.
Since I did have to pay for it, I bought the portable Victor setup, which came with both torch handles (welding and cutting), a few tips, regulators, hose, and a plastic carryall with the small sized gas bottles. I think I paid right around $300 at a big box store, probably Lowes...