Quality of Clarke welders (a different way of asking)

Hi all,

I am the definition of a newbie to the welding world. I'm trying to get signed up at the local vo-tech school (30+ people on a waiting list for the eveing classes) and I'm checking out the equipment available. I'm not looking to do this as a career. It would just be for fun and some projects around the house. Maybe a utility trailer, a grill, some shelving, maybe later some stainless steel welding for some boat things.

My question is regarding the quality of Clarke welders. I'm pretty sure most of you will tell me that they are on a second tier below the Lincoln, Miller, and Hobart equipment. Here's my question: Have any of you used a Clarke welder? What did you think? Is the lower quality something I'd see in a finished weld? Is there something about the wire feeder or gas delivery or current flow that affects weld quality? Or, is it more an issue of reliability, parts availability, etc. Do you think these welders are better than the Chicago Electric stuff available at Harbor Freight? I've ruled those out - I'm just trying to figure out where the Clarke equipment fits on the quality scale.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me. Maybe I'll be able to return the favor sometime after I know at least one thing about welding.

Thx, Chris I. Clearwater, FL

Reply to
CSI

I had one the Italian made machines that I cut my teeth on about 10 years ago. I was able to mig with the machine but the wire feed/gas delivery was always a battle. I found a used Lincoln weldpak 155 and bought that. There is more than a world of difference between them. The Lincoln can consistently produce great welds and saves a ton on gas. I paid less for the used Lincoln than a new cheap MIG goes for. It welds better and has more resale too. I bought the cheap welder used for $90.00 and sold it for $75.00. My point is this I am very pleased with my Lincoln and if I need any consumables I just go to the local store.

Reply to
Wayne Makowicki

I had one the Italian made machines that I cut my teeth on about 10 years ago. I was able to mig with the machine but the wire feed/gas delivery was always a battle. I found a used Lincoln weldpak 155 and bought that. There is more than a world of difference between them. The Lincoln can consistently produce great welds and saves a ton on gas. I paid less for the used Lincoln than a new cheap MIG goes for. It welds better and has more resale too. I bought the cheap welder used for $90.00 and sold it for $75.00. My point is this I am very pleased with my Lincoln and if I need any consumables I just go to the local store.

Reply to
wayne

Clarkes make excellent boat anchors!

Reply to
Harpman

I will say that when I put my home made spool gun

the power source it welds ok. The big problem seems to be the wire feed/gas delivery. I ran better beads than ever with the spool gun. I would say go for the Lincoln, Miller or Hobart.

Reply to
wayne