Re: Lincoln arc welder questions

The generator in it is DC. It has a small alternator to put out a bit of AC just for a grinder or whatnot.

This machine would make a great welder, but not a great generator.

Reply to
Mike Graham

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Bob) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

I have the chance to buy an old Lincoln model 300 arc welder from my > neighbor. We are guessing it is a vintage model from the 50's. It > works well and is powered by a gas 6-cylinder engine, which runs > nicely (starts fine, burns no oil, runs smoothly, etc). I can justify > the $500 price tag if I can also use it as a backup generator but that > is where my questions arise. It currently has a single 110 volt outlet > and is tagged as only providing 10 amps of output. So I guess my > question is twofold. First of all why would a 300 amp DC machine only > put out 10 amps of AC power? I assume the unit produces AC power that > is then inverted to DC for welding purposes - is this how it works? So > if this is true then why would the AC outlet not have the full amount > of power available - why only 10 amps and what would it take to > increase this? Wow, that was a long first question.....The second > question is this: I would also like to have 220 V AC output. Would it > be an expensive project to tranform 110 to 220 on a machine like this? > As you can tell, I only know enough about this to be dangerous. Thanks > for your patience. > > Bob > >

The machine you are looking at is a welding generator. Probably a Lincoln SAE-300 with Teledyne Continental motor. There are two sections on this type of machine. There are two generators/or a small alternator on the same shaft, one large and one small. I think the smaller one is called the "exciter". The large generator supplies the welding current and the smaller Generator/Alternator supplies 110v DC or AC (depending on the age of the machine, the older machines supplied 110 DC only, while the newer models had 110 volt AC output) The 110 volt power was for running lights and power tools on the job. This machine is a fine welding generator, and the price is very good, but it is not a alternator, and you can not increase the volts or amps for the 110 volt section.(not without spending serious money) This type of machine produces DC welding current only, and the 110 volt power does not come from the "welding generator" but a separate smaller alt/gen on the same shaft. So there is no way to do what you want to do with this particular machine. If this machine does not look ruff, and is in good condition, $500 dollars is a steal for this machine, if it is in fact a SAE-300.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

Thanks for the responses guys - I appreciate it. While I would really like to have a big welder like this, since my welding needs are fairly infrequent, it sounds like I would be better off spending the same amount of $$ to buy a buzz box and a small generator from Home Depot or somewhere.

thanks again, Bob

Reply to
Bob