regulator safety

There was an interesting article about the hazards of not backing off the regulators after using torches. ( The Welding Journal) If the regulators are not backed off and the oxy valve is opened the regulator diaphragm can add to the fuel available for a regulator explosion. I am taking the article to work. People get pissed off at me because I back regs off and they don't see the need. Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

I've always backed regulators off after use for safety reasons, but look at how much trouble it is to adjust pressure if you don't. You almost allways have to open the torch valves to bleed off pressure, then adjust back up to where you want it. I also stand off to the side when opening cylinder valves. I worked with a guy at the Cochise powerhouse once that was hired because the guy he replaced opened an oxy cyl and it blew a small piece of the regulator into his head, he didn't die but was off work for a while. He related the story to me after seeing me back off the regulators one day.

JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

I've got an acytelene regulator under the seat of my truck that is going in for repairs. When you open the cylinder valve, regardless of where the regulator adjustment is, the acy gage pegs the dial! Now that gets my attention very quick!

JTMcC.

Reply to
John T. McCracken

I have heard two reasons to back them off before stowing.

  1. To keep the thing from blowing its guts out when hit with high pressure from turning the valve on.
  2. To keep the springs and diaphragm from weakening and developing a "memory", thus having to crank it farther and farther down until ........................

Poof.

I always did it, and believe in it. Does anyone know what is suggested in the .......................... (dare I say it) .........................DIRECTIONS?

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

The reason I saw in a literature from a new set of Meco torches was that the little valve seat takes a hammering of several tons force each time the cylinder is opened with the reg not loosened off. The result of such abuse is a regulator that has a leaking valve and that tends to wander. Randy

I have heard two reasons to back them off before stowing.

  1. To keep the thing from blowing its guts out when hit with high pressure from turning the valve on.
  2. To keep the springs and diaphragm from weakening and developing a "memory", thus having to crank it farther and farther down until ........................

Poof.

I always did it, and believe in it. Does anyone know what is suggested in the .......................... (dare I say it) .........................DIRECTIONS?

Steve

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Here I have to admit that I *never* back the regulator screws out unless I'm dialing the pressure down. Leaving them in allows me to easily observe whether or not I've got a leak and, if so, how bad it is. I open the cylinder valves with care and watch the high pressure gauge in order to not hammer the regulator, I've had the same set of regs. on my torch for 15 years and they have no problems at all.

There's also the consideration that nobody uses my torch but me and I keep the torch tip clean at all times- this is where you'll get the problem of sending O2 into the acet. line or reg., when the tip is plugged and both valves are opened (or if you have leaking valves and a plugged tip). Whenever I worked in a shop and had to share a torch with unwashed heathens I made a point to keep my own tips and be perfectly selfish with them, I'd show anyone who wanted to know how to clean a tip but I'd not let 'em use mine- much easier that way.

John

Reply to
JohnM

We use Concoa and Veriflo regs for diff gases, Concoa for our hydrogen/oxygen torches though, always backed off regs, esp on corrosive gases as the diaphrams tend to crack if left stressed....All of our torches have FBAs and anti backflow valves, to protect the hoses, the regs then also have FBAs incase a hose gets burnt through, 1/8" nozzles don't tend to get blocked though! We also have a rolling 5 year replacement program (for cylinder mounted/pressure gear, our H2 comes in 15 cyl packs), to stay within the gas industries guidelines, for regs, FBAs, and hoses, they may only be guidelines but should something go wrong the insurers won't pay up, and the Health and Safety police will prosecute if they are not followed.

Niel.

Reply to
NJF