Shoes

I have never worn anything but Red Wing Wellingtons. I don't like getting shoelaces burned. I also don't like dingleberry dancing from hot stuff going inside my socks on low top shoes. I used to go through a pair a year, with the salt water eating the soles off, but many times burning holes in the soles if I did much shop welding. What kind of shoes do you wear and why?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

In the shop I wear lace-up leather boots (something affordable like "Georgia (Brand) Boots" made in China) and replace the cotton shoelaces they come with with leather laces for durability and fire-resistance. I probably don't weld as much as you do so of course YMMV.

I prefer the lace-up boots to the slip-on Wellington style because I feel like I get a bit better ankle support while moving stuff around without so big a chance of spraining an ankle.

If I'm not in the shop my preferred footwear is 4" or 5" stiletto heels

- once again Steve, YMMV. (Sorry, the shoe queen in me just couldn't resist :)

Carla "There are similarities between politicians and corpses: Bloat, gas, posturing, stench, work-output, thinking ability, usefulness..." Edmund J. Goodwin

Reply to
Carla Fong

Uh 4-5" heels? Aren't those referred to as "Come F^&k Me" shoes :-)

Myself I wear Herman Survivor Hikers with a composite toe normally. If I'm planning on a lot of metalwork I grab my custom made fire fighting boots. Those are made using a multi-ply composite of leather, Nomex and Kevlar. The soles are made the same way but more layers. After a few years of use yo need to replace them because they no longer meet spec.

Reply to
Steve W.

Quoted from a post of mine a few years ago:

I get plantar fasciitis if I wear cheap boot/shoes plus the back problems/fatigue that go along with it. Below is what I wear. I buy the boots two pairs at a time & swap pairs every day. That way they have a chance to regain their resiliency which means they last longer & give a better ride. They last me two to two and a half years each set. I change the insoles every 6mos, and the arch supports every three. The socks will last a while, too. They have padding in them as well, which may need to be taken into consideration when sizing your boots.

I wear Red Wing boots:

with Red Wing insoles:

these arch supports:

and Thorlo socks:

Hope this helps.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

I wear pretty ordinary shoes, but since my welding is pretty much all TIG I don't really have much of a dingleberry issue.

Reply to
Pete C.

I will go along with this line. I have my #4 shade for cutting and oxy acetylene stuff in a welding type face shield and a set of leather sleeves. The main problem with the shoes comes from stepping on stuff I have cut off and is real hot but the shoes are rarely ruined just scarred. I get a lot of burned shirts jackets and the like in the belly area. I have an arc air set up but am kind scared of using it. I of course am not subject to any sort of osha stuff. must dance fast when a clamp starts to fall. I do have something with steel toes if I really feel in danger. I make sure not to wear pants with cuffs, my inseam is kind of short and when standing the top of even low shoes is covered.

Fran

Reply to
fran...123

Shop at the GoodWill, etc and buy cotton pants that are long enough. And pick up a cheap leather coat and rip out the lining if you live where its hot.

I did that for years before I could afford a set of real leathers...and I still go back to the GoodWill leather coat when Im in a hurry.

Gunner

"First Law of Leftist Debate The more you present a leftist with factual evidence that is counter to his preconceived world view and the more difficult it becomes for him to refute it without losing face the chance of him calling you a racist, bigot, homophobe approaches infinity.

This is despite the thread you are in having not mentioned race or sexual preference in any way that is relevant to the subject." Grey Ghost

Reply to
Gunner Asch

See

Grant Erwin (posting from google 'cuz my damn newsfeed is down again)

Reply to
pops

John L. Weatherly wrote: ...

$288!!

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I wear similar looking Danner boots, which I bought new for $130. They are very good in all respects, except that tying laces is time consuming. Wearing them is a great experience and I can keep them on all day long.

Reply to
Ignoramus12379

When I bought Red Wings during the 70's, IIRC, they were right at $100 a pair for the steel toed Wellingtons. Last pair I bought was in '84, and except for one toe worn out from kneeling to get the underside of pipe, they are in good shape. IIRC, they were $120. Just looked for them online, and they are about a buck fifty now. Still, not bad for a pair of boots that will last ten or fifteen years.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Yeah, they're steep. I wore the Wal-Mart Brahma boots, but they ended up crippling me. For me, it was money well spent. I have put the shock, chemical, cold, impact stuff to the test & they perform really well. Getting them re-soled is only $50 or so, and I get free laces for life (of the boot). I am cheap by nature, but I can't skimp on work gear.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly