Stupid Tig question..blush

Over the weekend I was doing more tig practice on various bits and
pieces, and had some CRS 3/16x1" flat stock side by side and I was
welding them together length wise, butt joint.
I was getting craters of some sort behind the weld. Am I blowing the
molten metal out of the way with the shielding gas? About 15 cfh flow
on pure argon. I cut back on my flow and reduced the amperage and
the welds looked normal They almost seem like half gas bubbles rather
than arc craters.
Gunner
Think of it as having your older brother knock the shit out of you
for torturing the cat." Gunner
Reply to
Gunner
i'd have to guess you got a leak somewhere in the line that the higher flow rate was sucking (vacuum) air, though it does not take much air movement to compromise your shield, and what you're describing would have been the result...
Reply to
dogalone
Hummm ok. my welding bench is outside and there was a breeze of sorts.
So what are the issues and signs that arise when your sheilding gas blows away? Ferrous materials of course.
Obviously the electrode is not effected, but the weldment......
Thanks
Gunner
Gunner
My guess is porosity. The shielding gas keeps oxygen out. If you're losing your shield, air will get in an oxidize the metal and cause porosity. But, I'm a FNG so I could be full of crap. Can someone confirm (whether I'm right or wrong...most people tell me I'm full of crap :))?
rvb
Reply to
Rick Barter
Gunner, Did you get my E-mail I sent you about relocating to Long Beach? I never got a reply. I sent it Sunday.
Rob Fraser
Fraser Competition Engines Chicago, IL.
Reply to
RDF
the results are exactly what you describe: deluxe porosity, no x-ray required.....
Reply to
dogalone
Sure didnt Rob. Ive got my spam filters set pretty high. I just put you on the Friends list.
Gunner
Gunner