Sweating pipe with oxy-fuel - use rose bud or a tip?

Hi,

I'll be sweating some copper pipe (1" to 1.5" dia) I was figuring on just using a #0 tip but it seems the shop has a rosebud (which I have never used before) Would the rosebud be better? Would another size tip be better than the #0?

Thanks

Jay

Reply to
JJ

A rosebud is way too big. A number one or two with a soft flame would be best with oxyacetylene. You will have to be careful and hold the torch back from the copper or you will get hot spots or overheat the copper. Randy

I'll be sweating some copper pipe (1" to 1.5" dia) I was figuring on just using a #0 tip but it seems the shop has a rosebud (which I have never used before) Would the rosebud be better? Would another size tip be better than the #0?

Thanks

Jay

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

"JJ" wrote: (clip) Would the rosebud be better? Would another size tip be better than the #0? ^^^^^^^^^^^ In sweating copper pipe, the object is to bring the entire joint up to temperature evenly. A #0 tip probably puts out plenty of heat, but in a small concentrated flame, so you would have to keep it moving constantly, and turning the torch to come in from all sides. From your questions, I assume you haven't done this before, and you will be making it harder than necessary. The rosebud produces a softer, wider flame, so you are not as challenged to get the heat even. A still better choice,though not necessary, would be one of those double tips, that heats from both sides at the same time.

I'm not sure whether a #0 or #1 would be better.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

It would be a LOT simpler just to get a handheld propane torch for sweat soldering pipes.

Reply to
John Thompson

Thanks Randy,

I fired up the rosebud for a look see and it did put out a pretty wide flame. I ended up using the 0 tip and of course I did hold it much further back than if I were welding and it seems to have worked fine.

I am going to use the rosebud to heat up a coffee perculator like Buddy Hackett did on a LoveBug movie - I guess I am showing my age!

Jay

Reply to
JJ

Reply to