TIG and inside corners

I am fairly new to TIG, with about a year of experience. Am somewhat competent with mild steel in most positions and joints. My welding is for hobby purposes, I am not bound by code. But would like to make strong joints for peace-of-mind.

I am frustrated with TIG and inside corners (e.g. where 2 pieces of angle iron meet to form a 90 degree corner). I find it difficult to manipulate the torch and rod because of the tight space.

Assuming the outside joints are appropriately welded with CJP, is it appropriate to bypass welding the inside joints? I am sure the answer to this is yes, but thought I would ask anyway.

If the outside joints have only partial joint penetration, is it appropriate to weld the inside joints without filler rod?

Thanks.

Reply to
John

I'm no expert, but I believe you can extend the tungsten much further from the cup for corners like that where the walls will help to contain the shielding gas. At least that's worked for me...

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

On Carbon Steel you NEVER FLOW WELD. Stainless steel is often flow welded, but with carbon steel you will almost always get some form of porosity, even if you can't see it on the surface.

For an inside corner I can assume you are running a standard collet body or you wouldn't be asking this question.

Switch to gas lens collet bodies and you can slide the tungsten twice as far past the edge of the gas cup. This makes inside corner and fillet welds immensely easier. A gas lens also allows you to drop your gas flow down to 10-12 cfh, and still get better shielding. The downside to gas lenses is the exposure of the tungsten to attacks by vagrant filler rod , and base metal that leaps off the table into it's path.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

I wanted to respond to this question, but Ernie you covered it! I only use the standard collet body if the size of the gas lens doesn't allow me to get into a tight (confined) space.

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Hi Ernie, everyone -- Little request - what is "flow welding"? -- RS

Reply to
richard.smith.met

"Flow welding" is more accurately called Autogenous welding, which means no filler metal added. This is often used for Stainless steel tube and sheetmetal. With tube the ends are simply butted together and the TIG is used to melt the ends together. With sheetmetal the edges of the sheet are bent up a small amount. The 2 flanges are placed against eachother and the edges are flowed together.

Flow welding also works with most nickle based aerospace alloys, many bronze alloys and 5XXX series aluminums ( 5052, 5086...). It can not be used for most other aluminum alloys.

Sometimes it also called "fusion" welding.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Ya cant use this for regular steel?

oops...... guess Ive done a bunch of them wrong. Fortunately nothing important..thank (insert diety of your choice).

Thanks for the heads up!!

Gunner

"This device is provided without warranty of any kind as to reliability, accuracy, existence or otherwise or fitness for any particular purpose and Bioalchemic Products specifically does not warrant, guarantee, imply or make any representations as to its merchantability for any particular purpose and furthermore shall have no liability for or responsibility to you or any other person, entity or deity with respect to any loss or damage whatsoever caused by this device or object or by any attempts to destroy it by hammering it against a wall or dropping it into a deep well or any other means whatsoever and moreover asserts that you indicate your acceptance of this agreement or any other agreement that may he substituted at any time by coming within five miles of the product or observing it through large telescopes or by any other means because you are such an easily cowed moron who will happily accept arrogant and unilateral conditions on a piece of highly priced garbage that you would not dream of accepting on a bag of dog biscuits and is used solely at your own risk.'

Reply to
Gunner

I find for inside corners that if I start at the hardest part - the actual joint of the corner - I have better success. Same for the tightest part of an angled tube joint. Sometimes I just put a good tack in there, step back a bit, and then restart from the tack. My theory is that these really hard to get at places tend to overheat a lot before you get the puddle engaged to all of the planes of the metal, so putting in the tack and starting from the tough bit helps keep the heat down.

Brian

Reply to
Brian

What is the downside to a gas lens? I've never used one, but from what I've read, they seem to be much better than the standard issue ceramic piece. Why don't folks use them all the time?

Peter

Reply to
pgrey

Larger diameter I think so you can fit a standard into tighter areas. All I've ever used are the gas lens variety.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I never recommend them to new TIG welders because until you have good torch control, they leave the tungsten too vulnerable, and if you hold the tungsten back as you would for a standard collet body, thne the gas cup becomes too large to deal with.

First get good with standard collet bodies. When you can weld for an hour without having to grind you tungsten, you can graduate to gas lenses. After that you will never go back.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler