TIG gases

Hi chaps and Ernie,

I been using pure argon for TIG welding and it work great on mild steel. I just tried welding some mild steel using pure Co2 and I don't seem to be able to get it to arc up and weld properly. Can pure Co2 be used for TIG on mild steel and if so, hows it done?

Thanks guys.

Reply to
Pipper

NO!!!

The only gasses you can use for TIG are Argon, Helium or a mix of the 2. CO2 is an active gas, and will do horrible things in a TIG weld.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie, Oh bugger.. and I just bought a new regulator for the Co2 bottle. I also have a little MIG welder too, the one that uses those little throw away bottles. Am I right to assume that I can use this big Co2 bottle for the MIG welder (on mild steel)?

Cheers.

Reply to
Pipper

Yes you can use pure CO2 for MIG, but you will get a lot of spatter.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Aha!!" You just reminded me why I haven't used it for the last 15 years.

Cheers.

Reply to
Pipper

Strictly no, because if you use CO2 then you're using a MAGS process, not MIG.

It'll work, but badly.

If it's a biggish machine, and you're using dip transfer on thin steel, then CO2 may be the appropriate gas for you.

If you're "a typical hobbyist", then do yourself a really big favour and get some better gas. You'll see a great improvement in your weld quality, especially if you're trying to push a small machine into strong deep-penetration welds on 1/4" plate and upwards.

Andy Dingley

A MAGS process???

Reply to
PROFESSORLITE

MAG is a term used in Europe for MIG welding with an active gas like CO2 or Oxygen.

Hence it is often refered to as MIG/MAG welding.

Argon and Helium are Inert. Oxygen and CO2 are Active. Most wire feed gasses are made of a mix of 2 or 3 of those 4 gasses.

I read that in Europe they used to Wire fed with Nitrogen, but I have never seen a good write up on how that worked.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

European term ? Damn ! We thought you guys had started it !

The term MAGS is only used on welding courses, or when specifically referring to the differences between argon mixes and CO2 mixes. Normally we just call them all MIG welders.

Andy Dingley

It was probably that international conspiracy of welding engineers.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler