Steel suppliers info.

Hi,

Does anyone have experience with shop4steel.com? Are their prices any good? They seem to be cheap but delivery looks a bit expensive.

I was thinking of buying 6m of 30mm x 30mm x 3mm angle, 1m x 2m of 3mm plate and 1m x 2m of 16swg sheet.

In total it comes to approx £30 plus £20 delivery.

Would I save a lot by going to my local steel stockholder? I don't mind paying shop4steel a little more as delivery is included.

Anyone got any other comments on shop4steel.

Thanks Dave

Reply to
Dave Skirrow

I went to my local steel stockholder in York for some 50x50x3mm angle. It's in 6 metre lengths and costs £10+VAT. You can probably shop local and collect it yourself with a bit of a saving, though you'll probably need to cut it up..

Reply to
Andrew Vevers

I bought a 152x89 universal beam from a local steel stockholder. It cost £60 for a 5M length (I think that was the length - not 100% sure) This was their minimum charge so I don't know actually what the little beam I bought would have cost. I didn't shop around - I just picked a local place that was convenient (time=money) and picked it up myself. On the shop4steel.com site they have a 9.5M beam for £56.24. Delivery is at least £20 but for me it would cost £110! (Glasgow) So, based on that, yes, they sound cheap (if they are near you) but all it takes is a phone call to find out how cheap. Also, support your local business if possible - you'll miss them when they aren't there. And finally, I got an even bigger beam from a scrapyard/demolition company owner friend I have. It was free but even if I paid, it would have been dirt cheap. Worth a call?. But then, for £50 is it worth all the effort?

Reply to
Alan Campbell