missing posts ???

I am using agent 1.92 clickon receive new headers, it say "receiving 24 new messages" when they come up there is only 4 messages.
I have no file filter set-up
what gives do you guys have the same problem on this group ????
thanks
Check your view settings....

If you check again it should be saying, "Retrieving up to 24 new headers for (name of group)". Briefly the most common situation might be that as posts are made to a group they are numbered. When your reader (Agent) contacts the server (rr) for new headers the server sends the latest total number of posts. Agent subtracts the number you got last time you pulled headers from it and the difference is the possible number of posts available, in this case, 24. When the headers of the posts are actually located and sent to you however, it could be that some of the messages are no longer there and so less actually show up than what the totals suggest. This can be because of cancels, or RR killed some as Spam, etc.
Long answer see below or ask for more info in: alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent
http://tinyurl.com/pm33
Bruce
"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what
you've got 'till it's gone." Joni Mitchell 1970

Update to 1.93
It's yEnc enabled and there were some problems with 1.92. As a registered owner, you should have received an email from Forte.
FWIW, acrobat-ants, I have never yet seen any of your posts show up when reading this newsgroup via Google. All I ever see is replies to your posts. I don't know if that bit of information will be of any help in diagnosing the problem, but just in case ...

snipped-for-privacy@duke.edu (Andy Wakefield) wrote in
Aha! That explains it. Thanks for clearing up something that has confused me for quite some time! Unfortunately, my normal ISP does not provide direct access to newsgroups, so Google or something like it is my only option for reading this group.

On 7 Oct 2003 19:45:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@duke.edu (Andy Wakefield) wrote:
I am not sure what do you mean by "no archive" in the header ? where is a setting for that , and what does it do?
I always used roadrunner, direct access to newsgroup, and never had problems, just lately.
sometimes I don't even see my own post showing up. some days i only get 2 header all day, and i know there is more posting going on in this BB.
I did update to agent 1.93 will see how it goes.

That's probably done by your Usenet provider which likely is your ISP. ISP's have long been playing games with the "free" Usenet service thrown in with your internet account. With Usenet graduating from plain text to HTML and binaries, the bandwidth and hard-disk space needed has become costly to maintain. As a result, new terms have been created to describe the problems: Speed, reliability, retention, and completeness. See http://www.giganews.com/ What you are describing here is plain ol' crappy News Service. Your ISP will tell you it's free and comes with a money back guarantee. My ISP recently upgraded their Usenet Service after a several years of on again off again service. I don't expect it to last unless people become aware that the problem is the ISP slumlording and scream at them. Check here for an idea of what it costs retail and why you would want to pay extra. http://www.supernews.com/indi_price.html
For a mirror image of yourself, in case you haven't seen one of your post headers, here's what I see in my News Reader when I go to the show document source option. In Agent, the option is "show all header fields" or "show raw message" under the message menu. In addition to what you actually wrote, the software puts in a bunch more information. This is the stuff the FBI uses to trace hackers and virus gurus.
<copy> Path: newsspool2.news.pas.earthlink.net!stamper.news.pas.earthlink.net!elnk-pas-nf1!ne wsfeed.earthlink.net!cyclone.socal.rr.com!news-west.rr.com!news.rr.com!cyclone.a ustin.rr.com!twister.austin.rr.com.POSTED!53ab2750!not-for-mail
Newsgroups: sci.engr.joining.welding Subject: Re: missing posts ???
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 1.93/32.576 English (American) X-No-Archive: yes MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Lines: 55 Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 01:58:20 GMT NNTP-Posting-Host: 66.68.5.235 X-Complaints-To: snipped-for-privacy@rr.com X-Trace: twister.austin.rr.com 1065664700 66.68.5.235 (Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:58:20 CDT) NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 20:58:20 CDT Organization: Road Runner - Texas Xref: news.earthlink.net sci.engr.joining.welding:58065 X-Received-Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2003 18:58:30 PDT (newsspool2.news.pas.earthlink.net)
On 7 Oct 2003 19:45:07 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@duke.edu (Andy Wakefield) wrote:
I am not sure what do you mean by "no archive" in the header ? where is a setting for that , and what does it do?
I always used roadrunner, direct access to newsgroup, and never had problems, just lately.
sometimes I don't even see my own post showing up. some days i only get 2 header all day, and i know there is more posting going on in this BB.
I did update to agent 1.93 will see how it goes. <end copy>
Thanks Zorro, the funny thing is I see your reply to my post but I do not see my original post anywhere among the posted files for the last 2 days , what gives ???

Here's your original post:

<snip>

The X-No-Archive is set by the user. In Agent a default setting can be made for all groups -or- each group can be set individually.
In Agent it's found here: Group>Default Properties>Post x Prevent usenet messages from being archived (X-No-Archive)
This keeps places like Google from adding them to their Archive, or collection, of old Usenet posts.
See #12 http://www.google.com/googlegroups/help.html
With newsreaders like Outlook Express where this setting is not available, the same can be accomplished by using this as the first line of a post:
If you are not seeing your own posts on RoadRunner it is almost certainly not related to the No-Archive setting. You might want to get a hold of them and tell them what is happening. Of course if you don't see this post....
Bruce
BTW, if you would like to see the posts that have been kept for this group, just paste the name in here:
sci.engr.joining.welding http://groups.google.com / _____________________________________________________
--
"Don't it always seem to go, that you don't know what
you've got 'till it's gone." Joni Mitchell 1970
Very interesting info Gnububba, thank you.
As far as Acrobat-ants seeing his own posts, it may be easier and more permanant if he does as Rager said...

the gathering

Mostly trivia I guess. It's just like you said, RR has long had periodic trouble with completion, but then they are mainly there to provide a connection not news I suppose. I've heard nothing but good things about the uni-berlin server.
Last thing, at least he isn't alone. I don't use it but more details are over in another group.
alt.online-services.roadrunner
Cheers, Bruce
thans guys for trying to clear up the missing post issue..... unfortunattely i got a bigger problem on my hand right now.
this darn computer just crashed, harddrive failier. it took me 2 full days to try to recover as much files from the old drive as possible, along with countless computer freezes during the recovery. the --Seagate hard drive---- was less than a year old. important data was backe up, but other goodies were not.
files and programs are slowly going back to the new drive. but I made a promise to my self to cut back on the computer use ,
welding and fabricating usefull things is hobby I like , so I keep coming back here, to read and learn more.
i gues I am not worried about my post appearing or not from now on, i will just read whatever comes up on my RR
thanks agian

thans guys for trying to clear up the missing post issue..... unfortunattely i got a bigger problem on my hand right now.
this darn computer just crashed, harddrive failier. it took me 2 full days to try to recover as much files from the old drive as possible, along with countless computer freezes during the recovery. the --Seagate hard drive---- was less than a year old. important data was backe up, but other goodies were not.
files and programs are slowly going back to the new drive. but I made a promise to my self to cut back on the computer use ,
welding and fabricating usefull things is hobby I like , so I keep coming back here, to read and learn more.
i gues I am not worried about my post appearing or not from now on, i will just read whatever comes up on my RR
thanks agian

Sign up at a free news server.
http://news.cis.dfn.de/ is a free German server that takes about a week to setup. Look at the last selection on the page. I'm posting through them now. It's a text ng only server, there aren't any binaries. HTH
snipped-for-privacy@duke.edu (Andy Wakefield) wrote in

Have you accessed the ng using OE?
I don't use OE for anything anymore because of security issues, but I did before I went to Xnews.