Tig Technique on American Chopper

Convention?

Look at Las Vegas Convention and Visitor's Authority site. LVCVA.com Go to the convention links. Try PowerGen convention on Google.

The convention, as conventions go, was a small one, but all the big dogs were there. Lots of high tech current stuff, lots of stuff that is on the horizon, and lots of future stuff.

I have to go in tomorrow for teardown If I feel good enough ;-(

I will see if I can pick up any literature.

Reply to
SteveB

tell me more about the Power Generation

Here is the link I found under a PowerGen Google search:

It will get you started.

STeve

Reply to
SteveB

Awesome. Thanks! R/ Steve

Reply to
SPR

In one of the earlier American Chopper shows, there was an introduction of a man in his 50's or so that Paulie gave credit for "Fixing" and finishing his welds. He stated that he tacks them together and this other gentleman does the actual welding. I agree that this guy should be shown a lot more since he is the one actually doing the quality work required to keep the bike together. They have standards to meet to put the bikes out and have them be safe so you know that someone is taking care of this aspect of things off camera.

I will say that I think Paulie is creative but I also think the old man is the brains of the business. He had a multi-million dollar ironworking business that he started from scratch. They got into the bikes and let the ironworking go away. That is why they had such a great ironworking shop up on the hill behind the bike shop.

The old man also now has them on TV and selling a lot of bikes, he is good at marketing his products. Now his product seems to be the confrontations and the creativitiy. He makes more cash than I do so he is definately doing something right.

Reply to
oso_bob

Yeah, and the fact that safety-conscious weldors/mechanics react in horror is probably not unwelcome. A little controversy keeps the buzz going!

What is really interesting is that a) they don't seem to give a s*&t about protection from ultraviolet and usually grind without eye protection of any kind but b) Paulie often wears a dust mask! Hunh! Maybe he had a 15 minute unit in highschool shop about the dangers of shop dust but was sick on the days they covered all the rest of the stuff.

I enjoy the show. It has been useful to see a little into the process of how sheet metal can be formed. My wife puts up with me watching the show and gets some mild amusement from the interpersonal play between Paul and Paulie. Unaccountably, my 6 year-old granddaughter (mon petit fil) loves the show! She is the consummate 'girl' (loves dolls etc.) but she likes the bike stuff on the show.

Ciao, David Todtman

Reply to
David Todtman

Reply to
m5bmw

Reply to
Jim Juhas

Jesse, the guy on Monster Garage, now there's a craftsman. He builds his own tanks at West Coast Choppers. He uses an English Wheel like he was born to it. He builds his own frames, he builds everything. A true builder.

BGP

Reply to
Bert & Eileen Plank

Yup, I'd much rather watch him than those idiots at American Chopper.

Lane

Reply to
lane

Reply to