Torch types

We have an 8 year old Miller Synchrowave 250 that I used to use all the time. I have another position in the company now and rarely get to use it, but am still responsible for its service and spare parts. We are rather thin with welder maintenance shops around here. A welder was using it the other day on TIG and it stopped making an arc. There is spark at the points so I'm thinking there is a problem with the torch or cable somewhere. It still works fine on stick.

I have 2 questions. Does that sound reasonable that it is the torch or cable? They are the original ones that came with the machine.

The torch we have is a water cooled WNI 20. Do all 20 type torches use the same parts. I have a number of gas lenses, nozzles, etc. for this torch and I'd like to be able to use them in the new one if that's what I need.

I actually learned a ton here and basically taught myself to TIG weld (including aluminum) from help here even though I don't get back much anymore.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Reply to
bobbym529

If the water stopped flowing the power cable may have burned up or corroded off. If the machine has a fuse block in the water/power connector, then you may only have to replace the copper strip.

The 2 major TIG torch families are series 2 and series 3. These were established by Union Carbide about 60 years ago. Parts are interchangeable across all manufacturers within those 2 types.

Most TIG torch companies have gone on to create specialty torches that are unique to their company, but most of these are in the really tiny or really HUGE categories.

2 series uses a 5/16" x 24 thread, and series 3 uses a 3/8" x 32 thread. 2 series used to mean 200 amp water cooled. 3 series used to mean 300 amp water cooled.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Thanks Ernie.

I got a new torch and that solved the problem. We don't have the connector with the fuse, but I saw them at CK and that sounds like a good idea. And all my parts fit.

Bob

Reply to
bobbym529