...using my Dumb Question Of the Month coupon .......

I think everyone is entitled to ask one dumb question a month, and here's mine.
What all will a plasma cutter cut?
Is it only metals, or will it cut glass, tile, or thick plastics?
Steve
It is "capable of cutting electrically conductive materials " http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e1151.pdf
Patrick

"Patrick" <Welding at Hill-Family dot US NOSPAM> wrote in message

I'm trying to think of electrically conductive things that are not the obvious metals. Is carbon in that group? Any others?
Steve

http://content.lincolnelectric.com/pdfs/products/literature/e1151.pdf
the
Various salts dissolved in water
AWEM
I have seen it used about 20 years ago to cut 1/8 inch plastic with a foil lamination on it.

Some have tried to cut non-electrically conductive materials by sandwiching it between two thin metal sheets. Success is variable.

Ice?
--
Stupendous Man,
Steve B wrote:

It depends on how nice a cut you want. I was cutting some sheet metal propped up on concrete blocks. I cut over one of the blocks and cut a big divot out of the block. If I had been traveling slower, it would hve cut the web of the block.
My suspicion about glass or tile is that the huge temperature differential would shatter them even if you had a piece of sheetmetal on to to conduct the arc.
Flamable stuff might be a problem as well.
Good Luck, Bob

laser is what you realy want to cut everything; wood, fabrics, plastics, copper, stainless, etc etc
Shaun

I want tons of stuff I "want", and have it all bookmarked neatly in "FAVORITES". I just need to start producing and get the cash flowing to buy these things. Right now, I'm busy building and developing some real estate, and my welding is on the back burner until I get my shop built. Hopefully, this summer.
What I really need is time.
Steve