...using my Dumb Question Of the Month coupon .......

I think everyone is entitled to ask one dumb question a month, and here's
mine.
What all will a plasma cutter cut?
Is it only metals, or will it cut glass, tile, or thick plastics?
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
It is "capable of cutting electrically conductive materials "
Patrick
Reply to
Patrick
I'm trying to think of electrically conductive things that are not the obvious metals. Is carbon in that group? Any others?
Steve
Reply to
Steve B

Various salts dissolved in water
AWEM
Reply to
Andrew Mawson
I have seen it used about 20 years ago to cut 1/8 inch plastic with a foil lamination on it.
Reply to
MES
Some have tried to cut non-electrically conductive materials by sandwiching it between two thin metal sheets. Success is variable.
Reply to
RJ
It depends on how nice a cut you want. I was cutting some sheet metal propped up on concrete blocks. I cut over one of the blocks and cut a big divot out of the block. If I had been traveling slower, it would hve cut the web of the block.
My suspicion about glass or tile is that the huge temperature differential would shatter them even if you had a piece of sheetmetal on to to conduct the arc.
Flamable stuff might be a problem as well.
Good Luck, Bob
Reply to
BobH
Ice?
Reply to
Stupendous Man
I want tons of stuff I "want", and have it all bookmarked neatly in "FAVORITES". I just need to start producing and get the cash flowing to buy these things. Right now, I'm busy building and developing some real estate, and my welding is on the back burner until I get my shop built. Hopefully, this summer.
What I really need is time.
Steve
Reply to
Steve B
laser is what you realy want to cut everything; wood, fabrics, plastics, copper, stainless, etc etc
Shaun
Reply to
Shaun Van Poecke