My dumb question of the month coupon

I (actually it was SWMBO) recently saw some purely dazzling wall art. It was made of brass looking rod, gas welded together, then had leaves and all manner of little things cut out and flame heated to get different colors. She's already imagining stuff in the 400 square foot range.

Is there a book or sites that will walk me through this?

What type of metal is this? Is this all done freehand, or done on a plate as a backup? I can see a lot of it is pure talent, and mighty fine welding, but as I say, anyone can do anything with a few thousand hours practice. I'd like to try some.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

There is a lady down in Tubac, AZ that makes stuff like that out of copper sheet and wire. Her studio is open and you can walk in and watch her make stuff.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Not sure if I'll ever be there. I did see a guy in a mall doing it one time, and he was breezing right along, just working with a very small gas rig, and a small variety of hand tools.

To me, the colors are going to be the hard part. I have seen some dazzling pieces, and the colors are what make it. Some are obviously heat created, and some look like acrylics or even powder coat. All that is a science of its own.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I watched the lady making some vines for a while and she cut the leaves out by hand and used a small O/A torch to braze the leaves to copper wire. She was coloring it by heating the leaves. It was nice work.

It was a few years ago and I have forgotten the name of the place, but I could find it easily. I looked on Google Satellite photos, but there were few names in the area.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

Some of the stuff I have seen like this is absolutely dazzling. There was one of a tree at Mt. Charleston Hotel, NV, and it had to be 100 sf+. That's a lot of leaves. And, I believe the costs would not be too high...............? I mean, doing it for myself. I would say it's fairly spendy retail wise. Any idea?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

On 1/4/2012 6:36 PM, Steve B wrote: snip

I don't remember prices at all on it, sorry.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

The stuff I've seen is copper sheet, brazed to either copper coated steel welding rod or brazing rod. Shapes can be either flame cut, plasma cut, or mechanical cut. Copper will get all sorts of wonderful colors from the heat.

I've also seen it done in steel. you get some nice colors but the raw steel rusts quickly. I've also seen things done in tin plated steel, fancy designs, no colors.

All copper prices are brutal these days but a roofing contractor supplier might be your best best for moderate prices. You could get a

12"x 10' piece to start with.

If you are looking for bright colors, they may have used jewelry enamel. This is a powder that melts at moderate temps, really hard bond, huge array of colors or blend your own. Normally done is a small kiln, suspect it would work well to just sprinkle it on, hit the opposite side with the O/A torch. Typical supplier

'd suggest getting either a larger container of one color like red or yellow or a sample kit.

Have fun.

Reply to
RoyJ

is one of several brazing videos at SmartFlix. Also good welding videos available at this site.

-- MRP

Reply to
MPowell