-- replies by e-mail please remove the weirdstuff from my address before you click 'send'. thanks --
There is a steel supply catalog on this site with weight per foot specs. http://www.shapirosupply.com/ Good luck. -M
9.74 lb/ft sez the table I have.
-- Regards, Carl Ijames carl.ijames at verizon.net

4 x 4 x 3/8 is 9.8 lbs. per foot

My first welding table for wrought iron was made of 4 x 4 x .375 angle. It was four feet by ten feet by three feet high. That's forty feet plus eight plus twelve (less a tad)
60 x 9.8= 588#
I moved the thing five times, and I wondered what it actually weighed.
This time, I made one out of 2 x 2 x .250, in the same dimensions, and I don't like it because it has too much flex, and you can't use it to bend things like I could the old heavy table.
I wonder whatever happened to that table............
Steve
Steel weighs 40 pounds per square foot at one inch thick. Quarter inch is ten pounds. A 8 inch by 12 inch 1/4 thick would weigh 2/3rds of ten pounds or about 6 plus. 3/8 thick would weigh half again so the angle weighs in around 9 plus pounds per foot. This is just in case you don't have a steel table handy. Randy
would some kind soul please provide me the weight per foot info for this 'fairly large' angle iron? all I know right now is it's -extraordinarily- heavy.
I need to use it for a toolbox frame (or at least the lower part of the frame). this toolbox will be 'humongous'; you can see pix of the "source parts": this whole deal, the 28 drawers, full suspension slides and all of it was a "3 buck sealed bid" win...pix at
http://machines.awardspace.com/rotomatic /
ps-if anyone reading this happens to have four to six SUPER heavy duty casters laying around, new or used, clean or filthy, please contact me. I'm primarily interested in the 'spring/suspension' type, single -or- dual wheels per caster
thanks guys,
toolie
ps-working alone, it took me a five hour long visit to "blocking and cribbing town" to get this thing out of my van...chained it to the fence, drove away slow ... 'precarious to the extreme' doesn't quite do it justice
-- replies by e-mail please remove the weirdstuff from my address before you click 'send'. thanks

dave wrote:

Steel weights 7.88 grams/cubic cm or 489 pounds per cubic foot.
Measure the volume of all the steel. Make your measurements in inches.
L x W x H time .283= total weight.
For instance
12" x 12" x 12" x .283 = 489 pounds.
Your calc is correct but it makes more sense to state that steel weighs .283 pounds per cubic inch. Cross section area times 12 inches times .283 (or just divide by 4) is pounds per foot.