Weldability question

I didn't find the fall to be spectacular colour-wise, not when you're used to Ontario. The issue hardens back to the 'limited variety of trees' problem. Poplars and birches turn yellow, and black spruce doesn't turn

*anything*. There's not much else around in the lowlands.
Reply to
Mike Graham

Yes, there *is* that. And Ralph. 8-) Mind you, you'll find plenty of marginal types (as well as good folk) in the lower parts of the province.

Reply to
Mike Graham

I'm working on a pot rack and would like to weld an eye nut to a chunk of 2 x 1/4 mild bar. The eye nut I found from Tacoma Screw is described as:

Weldless drop forged steel - heavy duty eye nut

This steel should (MIG) weld without any problems, right?

Loss of strength in the HAZ isn't an issue, I just want to make sure there's no cracking. I can preheat if necessary, but my gut says "just weld it up".

Am I right ?

JLD

P. S. Happy birthday Ernie.

Any one heard from Mike Graham lately?

R.I.P. Johnny Cash 1932-2003

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Just make sure you grind/sand any coating off of the area you're going to weld. Sometimes they're anodized/nitrided/whatever and it screws up your welding big-time.

Not for a long time. 8-) I've been busy. Changing trades. I get to be an apprentice again. 8-) Second year apprentice Machine Tool Builder. It's a specialized trade that is just coming into being. It's what millwrights used to be before their trade morphed into an industrial mechanic, installation and maintenance role.

Reply to
Mike Graham

Thanks, Mike. The nut is galvanized. I was planning to etch the zinc off with some HCl. I'll go over the weld area with a grinder, too.

That sounds pretty cool--I hope things go well for you. Nice photos on your site. I particularly like your "back yard" and hope to have something similar eventually. My better half is Canadian and she dreams about moving back some day. She is from Edmonton originally.

Cheers,

Jeff Dantzler Seattle

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Rod: Then stop being an asshole and _HONESTLY_ consider the move!

Rod Ryker... It is faith and reasoning that bind truth.

Reply to
Rod Ryker

I lived in Edmonton for years. Alberta is a lovely province, though it lacks in interesting trees, for the most part.

Reply to
Mike Graham

So did I (now in the Okanagan). Alberta has four seasons, Frigid, Mud, Mosquitos and Glorious. Really the Fall is truly lovely.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

Who cares about colours when you have the various colours of our money floating around in that province. A place where there is always work and weather that chases the marginal people out. Randy ( envious of places that still have work ethic)

I didn't find the fall to be spectacular colour-wise, not when you're used to Ontario. The issue hardens back to the 'limited variety of trees' problem. Poplars and birches turn yellow, and black spruce doesn't turn

*anything*. There's not much else around in the lowlands.

-- =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Mike Graham | Metalworker, rustic, part-time zealot. mike 'at' @metalmangler.com | | Caledon, Ontario, Canada

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

She is in Seattle on her NAFTA work visa and we both have good jobs in the biotech industry. A move up North would be more in the future after we've both milked our companies for whatever we can. As she says, "when we're ready for it, we'll know."

As far as foliage to be jealous of, check out:

is a large file)

I shot this today hiking just off the mountain loop highway in Washington.

Cheers all,

Jeff Dantzler.

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Rod: My bad based on your previous post. ;) Carry on. :):):)

Rod: Ok shot. Better yet, go to Michigan or Canada.

Rod Ryker... It is reasoning and faith that bind truth.

Reply to
Rod Ryker