welding cast to steel

We have a dump truck that we need to weld new latches onto. The latches are cast iron and the bed is mild steel. We have been advised by our local supplier to use nickel rods (NI-99 1/8") on our DC stick welder. Any other observations or concerns?

tia Steve

Reply to
SAF-WAY RECYCLER

Nickle 99 is common for cast iron, but I would suspect that those latches are cast steel.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

If your suspicion proves to be true what would you recommend for that?

Reply to
SAF-WAY RECYCLER

"SAF-WAY RECYCLER" wrote in news:bh0vpu$37t3$ snipped-for-privacy@news3.infoave.net:

7018.

Kruppt

Reply to
Kruppt

The nickel rod is safe. Even safer than 7018. If the latches are indeed cast iron they might be some sort of malleable iron in order to take impact. I wouldn't cross your local supplier. After all he is in the business of customer satisfaction or he won't stay in business.

Randy

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

7018