Weldment rust protection query

On a chassis weldment, mild steel, Mig'd or Arc'd. For corrosion protection

- rain, snow, mud, road cruft kicked up type wear n tear.

Any comments or suggestions on Rustoleum "Cold Galvanizing" spray vs a rust primer and a surface coat?

Hot dip galvanize is not an option.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
hhsupply

Never used Rustoleum cold galv. I have used the kind from the welding stores. It has to go onto bare clean metal, and it has to go on thick. Then it works pretty well. If you use a good rust primer and topcoat you should get about 8 years, or with the galv stuff about 10 years. You can pick what you like.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin

You can either go cold galv, or a good rustcoat type primer with top coat... the thing that will make a difference though is that spray on type undercarriage rubber. lots of people make it, shop around. it sprays on thick, is black, ugly looking and feels like rubber in every way. it does quieten down your road noise a little, but it does the best job of anything ive seen in protecting your undercarriage from ice, salt, rocks etc etc... Ive put it on most of the offroad vehicles Ive owned. It is pretty cheap. dont be shy in the application, especially around wheel arches.

Shaun

Reply to
Shaun Van Poecke

I agree with the undercoating idea, but not without some testing... a while ago I built a small tank for hydraulic oil and used the cold zinc spray. I was profoundly disappointed to discover that the oil dissolved the coating (enamel is the preferred coating, according to my readings). My guess would be to check the label on the coating container. It seems that somehow or other, the manufacturers know even more than I do......... Brian

Reply to
brian458666