Would a home hobbyist actually need tig?

That's interesting. So, you weld all that iron using tig? Is that right?

Ignoramus4243

I'm curious as what you did on a gun that O/A couldn't

Reply to
cl

Just a personal anecdote, a few years ago I went to a welding place to weld a bent bolt handle instead of a straight handle, for my Mosin Nagant rifle. They used TIG process for it and charged me about $25. I am sure that they had O/A equipment and all kinds of other equipment.

Ignoramus26153

Very small aluminum scope mount brackets and the Pittakinney rails. rebuilding sintered metal parts such as sears rebuilding slide stop notches on worn slides without seriously buggering up all the bluing.

etc

I suppose much could be done if one had a micro torch.

Gunner

Gunner

Another good example. Using a gas or stick process..would discolor the bolt body, even if wrapped in wet rags. Possibly even warp it. Im fixing to do exactly that..bend/reweld a MN bolt, in the near future.

Gunner

Gunner

Picatinny

Ignoramus26153

They sell M-N conversion kits, where you are supposed to grind off the old handle, and then drill and tap for the new handle. Tig welding would be much better than drilling and tapping and using flimsy screws. The handle that comes in that kit, is very nice actually. I think that it was stainless.

That welding shop did a superb job. I can post pictures if anyone is interested. I used to shoot my M-N a lot, but nowadays I am a little busy and cheap ammo is not as easy to find. Embarrassingly, I have not shot any guns at all in about a year.

My kit was similar to ebay item 7182515800

Ignoramus26153

HOLY Heat Affected Area, Batman!

Do you know how much steel around the welding area you would have to heat up and discolor to reach the temperature you would need to get fusion at the point of welding?

Quite a bit. And that can cause warping. Or just severe discoloration. And it would heat up all the oil, foulings, etc, in the area and join it to the surface metal.

OA on guns?

Sounds a little goofy to me. I could be wrong, and I regularly am.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Microtorchs work wonders. Seldom are you in need of welding though. Typically you are silver soldering, but you still have a similar HAZ. Gunsmith welding shares more in common with jewelery welding than industrial. Obviously, Oxyfuel is the choice in jewerly.As a matter of fact, there are somethings that I can weld with the Henrob with a HAZ and appearance almost indistinguishable from TIG.

It has been done for years. Just like silversoldering of sights and blots, lug buildup. There are very few cirumstances where I can see tig being a gunsmithing requirement. TIG blemishs the finish enough so as to require a refinishing anyhow. Obviously, the control of TIG makes life easier (plus no soot trails floating around the shop) but inspite of the growing trend of thought, there are few things TIG can really do that cannot be done with OA.

Reply to
cl

^^^^^

I have no clue where this came from :)

Reply to
cl

The kit...really really sucks. Ive reworked at least 3 that folks have screwed up. The hardware is fair..but the engineering bites the ball bag big time.

Gunner

I do not have any other kit that I could compare with mine, but it worked fine for me. At the time, the only tool I had was a black & decker drill and a vise. I was able to drill the gun in the right place and installed the mount. The mount holds quite well. Properly installing the bolt handle did not work and I paid to the welding company to do it the right way.

Ignoramus15937

The mount is ok. Its the bolt handle that sucks. Having a properly m0ounted scope on a rifle with a bolt you cannot open...sucks

Gunner

Gunner