Wrought iron hinge lineup

I am making a gate combo that will span about 16 feet. The two major pieces will span about ten feet. I am going to make this of larger tubing, but mostly .065' for the frame, rails and pickets. I will be putting a lot of decoration on it, and paintlock backing.

These two gates will be fairly heavy. I want to use the larger pin and receiver types of hinges because of weight and longevity.

Question:

What method do you use to make sure that the hinges are mounted in a straight line on the frame? Having them just a little bit out of line really screws things up. Any tricks? I have a magnetic laser and thought of using that. I have thought of a string line.

Suggestions?

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

I set the hinges closed and put the pin areas inside a piece of angle iron. I can then align the angle square to the frame and tack one side of each hinge to the frame. I am guessing that you will use weld-on hinges? Your laser level would be useful when you finally install on the gate posts. Personally I like to have some sort of adjustment for sag over the years. Even a heavy concrete footing holding the gate post can shift over time. Randy

These two gates will be fairly heavy. I want to use the larger pin and receiver types of hinges because of weight and longevity.

Question:

What method do you use to make sure that the hinges are mounted in a straight line on the frame? Having them just a little bit out of line really screws things up. Any tricks? I have a magnetic laser and thought of using that. I have thought of a string line.

Suggestions?

Steve

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Two sets of gates are bubbling up to the top of my list of things to do. In the past year or so I have looked into the exact question you ask. As it turns out, my local welding supplier has a 3-part weld-on hinge designed with this problem in mind.

The hinge is made with a pin section, a socket section and a brass bearing. Both the pin and socket section are machined in a cross section that is like a truncated cone with a circle on top. The result is a straight edge that can be welded on a line.

To use two or three of this type hinge you simply line them up on a straightedge, clamp and then tack weld. If you are doing several gates, you make a template.

I do not know the brand name of these handy little things. They are cheap, but do not seem to be commonly available. Look for a picture at McMaster Carr 1071A36. The description uses the word "triangular", but the idea is "straight edge for welding many in one line".

Reply to
frank