Subject Author Posted Replies

Any tips on using a plasma cutter?
RTFM? Surely you jest. Real men ask their buds and if married don't listen to their wives. ;) Wes
9
9

Reposting due to mess
Wow! Don't know what is happening to this forum. But am reposting in hopes of getting some help: I've been away from the craft for way too long. Have a chance to play in a new project that will...
2
2

Which HF magnifier to get?
Harbor Freight has two magnifiers. One is the Head Strap Magnifier with Worklight Lot no. 95890. $9.99 The other 16.5 Jeweler's Clip-on Eye Loupe Lot No. 94364, $2.99 Both are likely made of plastic...
7
7

Front loading washer as a tumbler?
Awl-- Couldn't a front loading washer be filled with media to tumble parts? As opposed to these noisy noisy vibratory tumblers? I'm thinking 18 or 20 ga material could be riveted in to protect the...
13
13

Engraving a degree scale
Hello all, I need to engrave a degree scale on my evolving gizmo. One degree increments will be fine. I can indicate the part on my RT, translate the 1.25" or so to the scale location, and use the RT...
24
24

Follow-up to Millermatic 175 problem
I got the machine back from the kid and looked at it for a while. Nothing in earnest because I had to do some errands with SWMBO. While we were out, I stopped in at a Miller authorized service center...
2
2

welder idle control?
I have an old Miller welder with a bad idle control module. It's supposed to energize an electromagnet-type (pull) solenoid mounted on the carburetor which pulls the governor arm to the idle position,...
29
29

Clausing 1301 Cross top slide Part 2
Well, I called Clausing today about getting a new top slide for my 1301 lathe. Not too much of a surprise for a 1973 lathe, but they don't have any replacement parts that involve castings, ie the top...
12
12

Magnesium: DOW 2410
I have some magnesium bar stock I picked up surplus many years ago. It is marked DOW 2410. I thought it would be a simple matter to google the allow but haven't found it online. It is about thirty...
29
29

YACQ (Yet Another Compressor Question)
Well, looking over my compressor, trying to get it ready for when my VFD arrives, there seems to be a few things not show or show differently in the documentation I got from Quincy. 1 and 2 are not...
1
1

anyone want this book "the US MAchine Tool Industry from 1900 to 1950?
See title - seems on topic for this group - from a long retired professor - by Harless D Wagoner - pub by MIT press - great condition - very interesting reading - I'm done with it, so it's your turn...
1
1

Automatic Transmission salvage
Well it's really an automatic transaxle. 1990 Nissan Maxima. I'm harvesting the parts mainly to add to my metric nut/bolt collection and for the aluminum castings. Question: 1) I slipped off the...
5
5

drill rod tolerence
Reamer blanks may be a little longer. They are hardened and ground -.000/+.001 Bob
7
7

A trip to the Zeppelin Plant
The company I work for sent me and some others from our plant to Friedrichshafen Germany to the Zeppelin plant to inspect equipment and observe the operation of a new line we are getting. We went to...
13
13

Laser vs conventional in pro operations
I was wondering if it's gotten to the point where most parts are cut with a Laser or some other (plasma? water?) state of the art technology vs conventional CNC shearing/punching etc. My only parts...
4
4