DeWalt reciprocating saw

I already have two tools that use the same battery. Anyone had any experience with these?

DEWALT DCS310S1 12-Volt MAX Pivot Reciprocating Saw Kit

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I have the Milwaukee version (a "hackzall") and I love it. The small size is really convenient. For 90% of the jobs that I do. There are some jobs where the full-size, corded version is still the best.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

I use the 24 volt version. Very handy tool.

karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

It looks pretty handy at that. I have a cordless recip (ryobi) and like it, but that looks like more fun @ 90ish-degrees.

-- Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air. -- John Quincy Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

OK, I just ordered one from Amazon for $129.88 shipped.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

I've had really good luck with the DeWalt 18V XLR system for 15+ years

- and I'm sticking there because they've got a specialty tool for just about everything in it, all using the same batteries.

This new system looks fine if you are starting fresh and the 12V MAX /

20V MAX family has every tool you think you'll need in the next few years already in it - BUT if you'll need a right-angle drill or a angle grinder in the near future, make sure they're bringing it out in that line before you commit...

Try to stick with one line for everything - Because it's a royal pain keeping multiple sets of incompatible batteries all charged and ready to go. You always end up with a few orphan tools on the shelf that work perfectly fine, but you aren't wasting $60 to buy battery packs for it every few years.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

Already committed, I bought a DeWalt 12v drill and an impact driver last winter when a local hardware store had a BOGO sale.

I had that problem with some Skil tools I bought.

I also figure that if the line is dropped or the batteries become too dear, I can cobble up something that supplies 12vdc w/o too much trouble. What I originally bought included 2 batteries, a charger and a bag for each tool. I couldn't tell if the saw comes with one or two batteries.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Well, that was partly aimed at someone reading along who hadn't yet - because once you start down that road, you're committed. Everyone else has already done this to their customers - Old Makita, New Makita, now you have to maintain two, three, four systems.

Most all of the DeWalt full tools come with two batteries and a 120V charger. If you want a 12V Vehicle Charger, you have to go buy one - and if you do a lot of stuff in odd places, that's a Very Handy thing to have. Use mine all the time, rather than search out an outlet.

Just remember to use the "Accessory Power" socket for the Vehicle Charger, or get one and install it in the car - things like that and tire air compressors draw too much current for too long, and can pop the Thermal Safety Fuse in a "Lighter Socket." Then you have to find a replacement and change the whole socket.

Now when you need more tools, look for the "Bare Tool" option, or you'll end up with a dozen chargers floating around... Just the tool in a cardboard box, with the essential accessories like the blade/wheel wrench, or the Allen wrench for the chuck.

Certain tools you might really need the hard carrying case for the

50-zillion accessories, or it's got a tip that's easy to break off... This is when you get a full tool, and build your battery supply.

I would say get the Radio/Charger, but they don't have them for the new system yet.

And they do a "2 Pack Special" on the 18V XLR Ni-Cad packs most every Christmas for a serious discount ($100 - $110) - haven't seen them do that with the new system yet, but keep your eyes open.

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman (munged human readable)

That auto charger runs about $100 online, I thought about it but with the saw batteries, I'll have either 5 or 6, enough for now. The batteries seem to be only $24 from Amazon.

I have an accessory socket in the back of my Subaru. I didn't know they might be fused differently.

Looks like I'll have 3 of the same charger anyway. :^)

Radio/Charger?

I want to get a better idea of how long a charge lasts, I've got some logs to cut up in the back yard to test that with the saw.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

Some battery tool mfgs offer a plug in AM/FM/CD radio with a built in battery charger. Problem though is some job sites do not allow radios.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It was due tomorrow, it came today.

I'd hoped for 2 batteries, but got only one, plus charger & case.

I cut up a log that went from 2" to 5". A charged battery was good for about 2.5 cuts through the 5" end, adequate for my needs.

David

Reply to
David R. Birch

The ad didn't say how many batteries?

Glad it does the job for you.

.

It was due tomorrow, it came today.

I'd hoped for 2 batteries, but got only one, plus charger & case.

I cut up a log that went from 2" to 5". A charged battery was good for about 2.5 cuts through the 5" end, adequate for my needs.

David

Reply to
Stormin Mormon