HF 4-1/2" angle grinder on sale

One of the HF bargains, the 4-1/2" angle grinder (3150) is on sale for $9.99.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

might as well buy two so that if you are in a project and the thing goes out then you can finish it...... watch it: when you buy the grinding wheels and they are not on sale you gonna pay just as much as the grinder for a pack of 10..... the ginder looks similar to the one

has on sale for $5.99. bet the quality is the same....

Reply to
jim

I bet it is, too. By no stretch a top quality tool, but quite usable for numerous applications, and they last long enough. Saves my Makita from more abusive work.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

and they last long enough. >

I have one of these that I got from Northern Tool several years ago and I only use it for abusive type work: cutting tile, concrete, rebar, and limestone building rock. The handle gave way a while back but the motor still grinds away. I thought it was a pretty good deal at $24.99, but at $9.95...

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

While you're at it, buy an extra one, and attach the belt-sanding conversion kit. I think HF still has those. You replace the grinding wheel with a 1" rubber drive roll, and you attach a 1" wide x (about) 18" sanding belt. One of my handiest tools. It will reach into small places, and does a nice job of cleaning up my amateur welds.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I had one of these for about 5 yrs and it worked great. Until I dropped from a ladder. Busted right in half. I replaced it with one of the orange ones from HF..its been working fine for at least 6 yrs and it survived the same drop test the same day I got it.

Ill buy another one when I get rich just to hold a cupbrush.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Except the homier has a M14 spindle, while the HF is the standard

5/8-11. Makes a difference for wire wheels and sanding discs. Bob
Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Hmm. This is the one I have, and it has taken some horrible abuse. I use it strictly for grinding stone (granite), masonry and concrete. Hard to tell from the web site whether the 3150 model is inferior in some way, but the price is lower. It was one of the 3150's you broke? Or the Homier?

Jim

Reply to
Jim Wilson

The blue one (mine was green btw)

I dont think Ive ever seen a Homier sale in California.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Attaboy Gunner, let me know when you make the big plunge and I give ya the cup brush.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I think they avoid cities with a Harbor Freight store. They came to Charlotte several times until HF opened and they haven't been back since. They HAVE been to several cities surrounding Charlotte though and if you get on their email list they'll notify you when they'll be in the area.

I have 2 of their $5.99 grinders. One has taken tons of abuse and still works great. The other is still in the box as a backup. :-) They have a handle on the end with a trigger switch that is missing from the one in the HF photo and I think the motor may be a bit smaller but they're well worth the $6. :-) I'm just a hobbiest though so I don't know how they would hold up to daily use.

Another great deal I've gotten from them is 12-packs of AAA and AA alkaline batteries for $0.72 per pack. They may not last quite as long as the brand-name batteries but they're a close 2nd.

Much of what they sell is obviously of even worse quality than Harbor Freight but they do have a few decent deals. They were selling reconditioned Lincoln MIG's on their site at a pretty good price for a while but I don't think they have them any more.

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

Reply to
Keith Marshall

Oh hell..I forget you sell brushes. Humm Ill have to check out your site again and maybe buy some. Im just about overdue for various types

What do you recommend for light surface rust removal, and what is good for paint removal?

Base metal would be steel, with a minimum of base metal removal.

Btw..still using those steel chip brushes you sent out a few years ago for testing. Working just fine, though a stiff bristle version that wont scratch paint would be nice. Im using large paint brushes around the milling vise and whatnot..and they are simply not stiff enough for swarf sweeping.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Yep those steel chip brushes are fine. Are they available with softer bristles? There great for on a milling machine, and also for use with paint strippers.

Visit my website:

expressed are those of my wifes, I had no input whatsoever. Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Reply to
Roy

Do NOT buy that one. The "Drillmaster" line HF sells is not good, no guts. The one you want is 42204-1VGA, currently selling for $19.99. That's the tough bastard you want. I have several of them, I use them unmercifully, they will not die.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Chinese tools are clearly better made than any US product. Why, this one manages to squeeze 3/4 HP out of only 110 VAC * 4.95 amps = 495 watts. Their air compressors are even more efficient.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

No matter the bloog..thats the grinder I use.

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 23:30:01 -0600, Richard J Kinch brought forth from the murky depths:

I get 544.5w, Rich. You're using a Whitworth calculator, eh?

120 * 4.95 = 594 watts 594 / 746 = .796 hp Looks close to me. @110v it still comes out to .73hp.

I like the 4.5hp compressors on 115v 15a lines myself. Their Marketingmousketeers call it "peak power". But for $159, I'm tempted to get one instead of rebuilding the little pump I have ($50 garage sale compressor) which makes lots of noise above 20psi.

-- If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any exercise.

- Jump-free website programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Whoops. But it still comes out to 0.73 HP (in watts), or about 103 percent efficiency, much better than the 80 or 90 percent efficient US motors.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

How would you express 0.73 hp as a simple fraction (especially considering that at a normal line voltage of 120 volts it works out to 0.796 hp)?

I'd call it about 3/4 hp. Of course that's *input* power. Shaft hp will be less. But that's the way they rate these things. I can tell you this, you can feel the difference between this grinder and the Drillmaster grinder. This one has guts, the Drillmaster doesn't.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman

Yes, that was my (admittedly obscure) point, that the rating is meaningless.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch