Oil Remover receipe

Any diy's for this stuff? I've heard "whiting" and solvent, but, what the heck is "whiting"? And which solvent?

The commercial is about $18 for 24 oz. Like to make a couple of gallons.

thanks

Reply to
gary

On concrete I sweep with gasoline then cover with rice hulls for about 10 minutes and sweep it all up. Been re - using the same bucket of hulls for about 20 years. Works on shop floor and driveway. Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

Whiting is calcium carbonate usually mined from chalk deposits. It's main use is as an absorbent. Fullers earth or diatomaceous earth will probably work just as well. The solvent depends on what your removing the oil from. If it's your tie, I would use carbo chlor. If it is your driveway, I would use kerosene.

Paul K. Dickman

Reply to
Paul K. Dickman

Or better yet, mineral spirits. Kero is a light oil, so always leaves a bit of oil behind.

Reply to
clare

I hope that you do not smoke at the same time

Reply to
Ignoramus29188

Ain't that the truth.

Reminds me of when Dad ran a bug catcher by the barn in southeast Texas. The bug catcher bag wouldn't hold them. Ended up with a crawling pile that filled a wheelbarrow. To kill them, Dad dumped on gasoline. Later that day, he scooped them up and dumped them in the burn barrel (we used to burn trash). Even later, he took out the trash, lit it, and promptly got knocked down when all the little bug bodies exploded. He said he was covered up with bug bits.

So I hope there's a lid on those rice hulls.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

I was pumping shit (sewage) a couple of days ago with a gasoline pump.

At some point a little plug came off the pump, and I was promptly sprayed by a very healthy dose of shit that came through that hole.

Ignoramus3708

I use Virginia Solvent No. 10 on concrete. Pour some on. Work it was a floor brush. Hose it off. IIRC, about $20/g.

Reply to
SnA

Remove oil from clothes? Use "Lestoil".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

For small grease stains I "dry clean" with Brake Klean.

Reply to
clare

It takes all those nasty colors out, too, doesn't it?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I worked with a tech who cleaned his shirt in methylene chloride (before the potential carcinogen stuff) after getting vinyl ester resin all over it. It got all the resin out great. Removed the buttons, too.

Pete Keillor

Reply to
Pete Keillor

Have not had that experience (yet)

Reply to
clare

I had a new silk sport jacket drycleaned by a new "discount" dry-cleaner a number of years back. It took him a couple of months to find proper replacement buttons to replace the ones he disolved - no idea what solvent he was using-----.

Reply to
clare

I use Dawn dish detergent for oil. It works to remove oil from birds

Dan

Reply to
dcaster