colour remover

I'm working with some of my old kits and have a question. What should I use to remove old paint from an aircraft canopy. I've tried thinner, didn't work. I've tried my wifes nailcolour remover with and without aceton, it did work a little but left marks on the plastic, not good...

regards André

Reply to
News1

mr muscle has removed paint for me without any damage to clear parts

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

Not sure what "Mr. Muscle" is. It might be the same as Mr. Thinner, a Gunze Sangyo product which I have used successfully. It's taken 35 year old gloss Testors off a canopy with no ill effects. Weird smell, expensive, and it takes time, but it works.

As with all things modeling, experiment first. Actual results may vary.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Reynolds, IPMS

foam oven cleaner

Reply to
JULIAN HALES

"Pine Sol" works wonders. For tougher spots, you can even scrub it with a toothpick, without damaging the plastic.

(The toothpick also is a great way to clean up the canopy after painting the frames...gently and harmlessly scraping away any "mishaps" from the painting.)

Reply to
Greg Heilers

"Mr. Muscle" is a household cleanser.

I use oven cleaner. Spray it on, put in a plastic bag for 15 minutes, rinse & scrub with an old toothbrush. May require 2 or 3 treatments to get all the paint. Wear rubber gloves and work in a well-ventilated area.

Reply to
Wayne C. Morris

Polly S makes a product called Easy Lift-Off which is designed to remove model paint and old decals. GPO

Reply to
Lafimprov